NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch on my daughters Beetle went out. I haven’t separated the transmission yet but I think it is the original dual mass flywheel. With nearly 200k miles I guess it’s about time for a replacement. In the past I have been a proponent of doing away with the DMF and converting to a single mass flywheel. This time however I’m going to put a LUK DMF in there.

Since I’ve got to separate the transmission I’m also going to catch up on a bunch of other items that need attention.

Because of all these other maintenance items I decided to pull the front and tackle things this way. With the front off most everything is much easier to get to.
If you look close you’ll see the oil cooler is leaking.
I need to swap out the AC compressor.
I have a coolant hose that is weeping.
The valve cover is leaking.
The headlights need to be cleaned and dehazed.
Oil change and transmission oil also.

All in all this car is in great shape it came from Arizona and so has only seen two northern pa winters.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The oil cooler is taken care of. If any of you have had occasion to replace the two gaskets on yours you know this can be a very messy job. I'm usually laying on my back with oil running down my arms. This time however with the front off I was able to set on my stool and do the entire operation. As many of you know this device keeps the oil somewhat cooler by passing oil through the central passage and coolant through the housing around the outside. If your oil has coolant in it a primary culprit is this device springs an internal leak. Usually however one of the two gaskets fails and oil just leaks all over the outside like the pic above.

All cleaned up with new gaskets ready to install.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission was out and sitting on the floor by 11am this morning, before the big feast began. Getting the flywheel off was another story. The original clutch was indeed still in there, and with the dual mass setup, the top plate had slipped just a bit. Because of that I could not get to the bolts to remove the flywheel from the crankshaft. I had to cut it off, fortunately I have an air grinder and an electric grinder. It took about an hour but the old clutch and flywheel are entirely removed.

While the new clutch was delivered yesterday I’m waiting on a new crank seal and clutch arm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The old clutch came out with a fight. Just in case anyone wonders how to remove one when you no longer have the holes for the bolts lined up. Cut the center out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to get to everything on my list, except the valve cover, I will have to revisit that on another day. I even managed a couple of other items that I found as I worked.

She is all back together and the new clutch is very smooth no more shuddering and droning when releasing the clutch pedal.

I do have one issue, a direct result of forgetting that when grabbing the clutch housing to man handle it off the back of the engine that the VSS does not make a good grab point. I knew this from prior experience and did it anyway. I broke that little plastic sensor and now the speedometer and odometer do not work. A new one is on order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts