VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19,258 Posts
Well, that is unfortunate; I have had good luck with my Luk Rep Set clutch on my 02M six speed so far. I suppose, a defective clutch or failure; is bound to happen. You might contact Luk tech support and discuss the problem with them. I have called them in the past and they were very helpful, willing to listen, give me info I requested.

REPXPERT Service Center
Schaeffler REPXPERT Service Center
Available Mon – Fri 08:00 - 18:00

· Registered
19,258 Posts
I cannot speak to the stock TDI based 02J based clutches; however, my 02M six speed original clutch, WAS marked Luk and was the same clutch, photos posted in my 02M rebuild thread. Everything looked the same; the DMF, had a slightly different shield, covering the internals and the country of manufacture, had changed from Germany to a Eastern European country (typical, labor cost cutting measures).

VW typically seems to use LUK and SACHS, as their oems; I don't know, if one or the other is better quality, I have heard feedback, on either one, being claimed as better then the other. You might post in the tdiclutch site and request feedback from others, although you will probably be deluged with recommendations, on going to a single mass flywheel conversion, as many tdi gear head types, absolute cannot stand the stock DMF setups. The whole DMF vs. SFM debate; can go on forever and turn into a seemingly endless debate about the pros/cons of using each type.

I would assume, Luk; would stand behind their product and would seek tech support help from them. Otherwise, a switch to a Sachs oem clutch; would be a option. I would also, seek the wisdom of the TDICLUB; "hivemind" and see what they say. Unfortunately, in my research for clutches; everyone, seems to have a "failure story", no matter what brand, one reads about! Frustrating, at the end of the day; you just have to go with the best info you can find from research and do your best, to pick a quality clutch.

I also, highly recommend; that you join, the Luk RepXpert support site, lots of good info, on installation tips and other details, that can help you, do you best to install things correctly.

· Registered
19,258 Posts
A factor, i noticed with my RepSet and dmf; was the horribly inadequate packaging it came in (from amazon). The dual mass flywheel, was banging around; in a box, that was not adequately stuffed with packing material, to eliminate movement. While, amazon had the best price; the packaging was dismal and really needs to be improved, because these metal parts are so heavy!

I was worried about clutch damage and in particular, the flywheel (being dual mass). Luk installation instructions, say to not install a DMF; that has been dropped, which banging around in a box, could be argued, has been. I called Luk tech support; they said i should be ok, i was under a time crunch and went forward with the install. Amazon, offered to send out another clutch/flywheel but i was not convinced; the packaging, would be any better.

However, from time to time; i do hear a slight noise at idle, that will diminish if i rev the engine a bit. It reminds me if similar noises; when I had my Southbend clutch and SMF installed (no where. Ear as bad). This was a concern, i had; if the DMF had been damaged in shipment and later developed a noise like this, when it started ti wear. The clutch is working fine, at this time but i'm worried; the DMF may develop issues, as time goes on.

· Registered
19,258 Posts
Yeah, I have always been something of a oem part researcher; going back to my aircooled vw days, I was always trying to get the best and correct parts, for my Volkswagens. Once, my New Beetle went out of warranty; I was thrown into a totally different world of oem parts suppliers and it took some time, effort to attempt to figure everything out.

I was amazed, to find Schaeffler, to be a major player in the German auto and VW oem parts supply chain. Over the years, it seems; they have created or supply some pretty interesting technologies, which many could say, they love or hate! :) Things like cage-guided needle roller bearings, diaphragm clutches, dual mass flywheels, alternator clutches, etc.

As I ended up needing to replace various failed parts on my New Beetle; it became readily apparent, that many were supplied by the companies in the Schaeffler Group. e.g. INA, ***, LUK and Ruville.

Things that I had to have replaced; that were suppled by Schaeffler companies, were typically motion related: serpentine belt tensioner (Ruville), alternator clutch pulley (INA), timing belt kit (Blauparts/INA), wheel, transmission bearings (***) and clutch/flywheel kits (Luk).

I'm glad Luk was able to help, they were also very professional and helpful with me as well. I have found the REPXPERT support site; to have solid tech info and even, repair training and various types of support info for installation of their products. One particular things I learned; was a tech bulletin, about NOT doing a bleeding process, before installation of the slave clyinder, on the 02M tranmission. Many try to bench bleed these; before they install them and as the tech bulletin states, it destroys the assembly. I was glad I saw that and made a point; of bleeding after installation and used the Phoenix Systems reverse bleeder with excellent results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.