VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
deannnaa
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ! I'm new to the forum however I'm not that new to VW problems. Please don't mind the long post, I've come a long way with the car it just never seems to end and I don't know what else to do. I bought a 99 beetle about a year ago. My first car and my first VW. As soon as I handed the man the cash I left to fill it up. Pulling out of the gas station(not even 15 min after buying it) the cel came on and the car started misfiring, bucking, would lurch forward and had no power. The car also has horrible fuel economy and a horrible exhaust smell. Also smells inside the car upon starting. Drove it all the way home to PA from Connecticut and parked it. It had random misfire codes and all four cylinder misfire codes. I have ended up changing the coil pack, wires, plugs, & fuel filter. The car ran days better after and the codes cleared. However then the cel came back on. Checked the maf. The car ran completely better without the maf plugged in. Way quicker way better throttle response the whole nine. So I bought a new maf. Plugged it in. The car ran like crap again.. I keep it unplugged for now but I'm not sure if it's healthy to do that. I also don't know why a brand new maf wouldn't work. Could it be the connector that plugs into the maf ? The car has a horribly rough idle and still misses a little here and there. The car also stalls when in neutral beginning to slow down for a stop. A cel came on then too saying O2 sensor. I'm going to change that too but is this my only problem ? The car stinks when it's on and has a horrible idle. It's pretty discouraging to own a VW lol.
Please any help would be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, first thing; please post any and all codes you are getting. Other possibilities: do you have access to a scanner and what brand/type is it?

1. check your fuel trim values; these can help you see what is going on and help direct you in your troubleshooting.

here is some info on fuel trim:

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

Based upon the above info, that you get; you can start checking some of the testing/troubleshooting steps below:

2. check fuel pressure; make sure it is in factory specs.
a. fuel pressure testers are available to rent or purchase, from most auto parts stores.

here is a manual; for testing procedures;Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-2.0L (AEG) (2000) > Powertrain Management > Fuel Delivery and Air Induction > Fuel Pump > Fuel Pressure > System Information > Specifications > Page 4745

3. throttle body:
a. clean it with throttle body cleaner (I like the CRC brand)
b. align the throttle body; this can be done using VCDS; from what I can gather, if yours has a cable to the TB, it needs a VW scan tool to do this correctly. Others, can chime in; see whether they have been able to do it without VCDS.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)

4. maf; check the live data and see if it is in spec.

Here is a good article on testing and troubleshooting the maf.

Part 1 -VW Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Test (5 Wire Type)

Get us those codes; do some of the testing and working with the throttle body. We will do our best to help; lets get this thing fixed! :)

·
deannnaa
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last time I checked the codes there was 3. Mass air flow. Air temp sensor. And O2 sensor. Rear O2 sensor I believe. I cleared the codes and the cel is back even though the car has driven about 10 miles in 3 weeks. The car is currently in my driveway apart cause I was doing the ball joints. (Never ending work lol) but as soon as it's back together which should be tomorrow I'll take it back to advanced get the codes read again and get some throttle body cleaner and things like that. I'll let you know tomorrow night. Thank you :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Make sure you get the code numbers. The descriptions from the generic OBDII readers aren't always accurate or fully descriptive.

·
deannnaa
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only codes I have on the car right now is po112 and po102. I had a code a while back for an O2 sensor. But I cleared the codes and so far these are the only two codes that have come back. It's had about 60 miles put on it since I cleared the codes. It does have a really bad misfire though and a loss of power.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For the yellow stuff on your oil cap:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Oil-Sludge-On-Oil-Cap-Explained!-Pics-Inside!

Trouble codes: look them up at the Ross Tech Wiki:

16496/P0112/000274 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16486/P0102/000258 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Have you tried cleaning the maf or iat sensors? You could try cleaning them first and then if you still have problems, replace them. Keep in mind; on the 2.0L the IAT sensor and MAF are integrated into the same sensor assembly in the MAF housing. That fact; that you are getting a failure code for both; would point towards a failed maf or wiring issue.

I use CRC electronics cleaner for the connectors:

CRC 05103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner

for the maf and the iat sensor:

CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, 11 oz. 05110

I have also; had good luck with using ignition grease, seems to help the connections on plugs as well: (I put this on my maf plug and was surprised with the difference it made; I have since put it on many of my plugs for different sensors on my car. Keep in mind; I live in a dry desert climate.)

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube
by Permatex

quote from another site: "IAT – Sensor: It is responsible for monitoring the intake temperature. It can get coated with oil, and can affect gas mileage, and a loss of power. It is common to remove it and clean it with alcohol, or electronics cleaner."

Here is a page about troubleshooting the maf: (note: see how many wires are going to your maf plug/connector)

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/vw/1.8L/maf-sensor-tests-1 (5 wire type)

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/vw/1.8L/four-wire-map-sensor-test-1 (4 wire type)

If you end up replacing the maf/iat sensor assembly; don't buy junk, be sure to buy high quality oem parts, Bosch is what comes from the VW factory. Look up Bosch parts here:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/

·
deannnaa
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a clogged cat and bad O2 sensor. I did a no no and cut off my exhaust, I had a brain storm and decided to plug my maf in and see how it goes (usually the car sounds starved for fuel when the mad if plugged in(the maf is brand new)) now the car sounds a ton better with the maf plugged in. (I don't understand how maybe because there's more flow through the car idk exactly) but I cleared the codes and I'll wait and see if they come back. I'm also going to go and get new gaskets for the oil breather and cap.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So, you removed the exhaust system and your cat is clogged and there was a restriction in the exhaust system? Are you going to buy a new cat? :confused: If you had a scanner with live data; you could read the 02 sensors, maf and trim levels to see how things are. If you buy new sensors; buy Bosch. What brand MAF did you buy?

Here is a interesting video; about cleaning and reusing a clogged cat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE

Here is a good thread and a recommendation for a affordable cat form amazon:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/92130-diagnosing-p0422-ecu-live-data-logging.html

·
deannnaa
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm guessing I have a clogged cat. I've been told by people I do. However my car has never ran a code for a bad cat. This all probably sounds weird but it is. I honestly have no idea what in the worlds going on with my car lol. I'm going to try and clean out the cat and see what happens. They're really expensive for me to replace.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm going to try and clean out the cat and see what happens.
Short of illegally "gutting" a cat, you can't really "clean out a cat", you need to replace it. They're not that expensive for an aftermarket unit, which is going to be better for the environment than running without an operational catalytic converter.

·
deannnaa
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't figured anything out with the cat. The car won't even start now. And I lost power steering. There's a leak in the line. Right by the couplet leading to the radiator. Idk what to do it what to even replace exactly. I'm really starting to hate this car. Can anyone help me out ? Floor Auto part Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
lHey, sorry to hear you have run into more issues; first of all, I would fix the power steering leak or risk hurting the pump or whole rack. Here is the service manual page for the pump; keep going through the pages and it shows the hose as well.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-2.0L (AEG) (2000) > Steering and Suspension > Steering > Power Steering > Power Steering Pump > Component Information > Service and Repair > Power Steering Pump, Removing and Installing

The hoses can get expensive; you might be able to have the hose repaired at a hydraulic hose shop and save yourself some money. They can add steel braided lines; remove the old rubber portion of the hose and the steel braided lines will last longer. IF this is where the leak is; they should be able to test your hose for leaks. There are other areas; it could be leaking from, you need to figure out where it is coming from.

replacement hoses:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...TF-8#q=1999 vw new beetle power steering hose

Fix the above issue and I guess; we can go from there and figure out why it isn't starting... :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Still recheck your fuel filter. Could still have water in the tank that is filling up the filter. Our vert. had a filter half full of water. Would run fine until you got on it hard or went around a curve. It's amazing how much water that filter can hold. Remove it and drain and try it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts