NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do all,

'04 Vert, driver's door latch gone, followed guides on this forum and on you tube on refitting a replacement. Bit of trouble getting the seized key-lock out but got there in the end. Took a bum steer off one of the how-to's that said the window needed to come out, which seemed counter intuative but I did it anyway I figured it's no great shakes on a vert to loosen the screws and yoink the glass out.

Anyway, all done, but the window now will not raise up all the way, it's stopping just short of the seam. Maybe 10mm shy of where it should stop.
Don't think there's anything wrong with the regulator it looks and sounds brand new (this car has lived in a garage all its life i think its in great nick, just bought it for my daughter's 18th by the way)

Out of daylight to carry on and its going to lash down for the next few days so a bit gutted to walk away from a few hours fannying-on with it and the job's not a good'un.

I'd be grateful for some input on someone more experienced than me on possible causes of the window not winding all the way up:

1. You don't need to manually set the height of the glass when you drop it back in surely?
2. The replacement latch was supplied by buycarparts.co.uk, it recognised the reg. as a vert and suggested me a latch made by Ridex, supplied from Germany (not necessarly made in Germany)
3. I suppose it's possible it's not the right latch i.e. its for a hard top but that still doesn't explain why the window won't manually raise up all the way using the window switch.
4. The latch shouldn't interfere with the max height of the regulator anyway should it? I can't test if it's dropping to clear the seam - interestingly on opening and closing the door it is not dropping. Obviously it doesn't need to drop to clear the seam, it's stopping just short of it anyway but if the latch thinks the window is full hight i would expect it to drop the glass, which it isn't.

So i'm also not clear whether I 100% have a vert latch in there. I'll check the old one's OEM number against the one I bought and report back, but, in the meantime, what could be the cause of the glass not going all the way up given the regulator seems fit and well?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Hmm, aftermarket parts are always a gamble; I always use genuine vw parts, especially for window regulator and door related repairs. I did a 2005 convertible window regulator recently and I used the repair kit, from my local vw dealer and it is cheaper, then the whole regulator. It takes some work and getting the cable on the pulleys is the main challenge but it can be done.

I think, the first thing I would do; is confirm, you parts are correct and we have had issues with people using aftermarket parts. Some, have had the cables not fit right and other quality control issues. In your case, you may have the wrong parts to begin with and thus, the problem you are having. I am not aware of the brands you are referring to; here in the usa, my dealer was a bit over $100 USD for the repair kit. If you do not get anywhere; you might get the correct genuine vw parts and that maybe will correct your problem.

In the case of the door lock module; the USA VW parts site, lists a couple of different part numbers, based on the vin #:

parts.vw.com

This Fits Your 2004 Volkswagen Beetle GL Hatchback 2.0L A/T

Part Number: 3B1837015AS
Supersession(s): 3B1837015AK; 3B1837015J
2 Door. 4 Door. From Chassis/VIN 3B-1-050 001. From Chassis/VIN 3B-X-090 001. Incl.Latch. Mechanism to secure Door to Chassis. Motor to Lock and unLock car Door. To Chassis/VIN 3B-1-049 999. AND Amplifier; switch. Door Actuator Motor.
Fits Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Golf, GTI, Jetta, Jetta GLI, Jetta Wagon, Passat, Passat Wagon

Lock. Latch.
This Fits Your 2004 Volkswagen Beetle GL Hatchback 2.0L A/T

Part Number: 3B1837016CF
Supersession(s): 3B1837016BH; 3B1837016R
2 Door. 4 Door. From Chassis/VIN 3B-1-050 001. From Chassis/VIN 3B-X-275 035. Incl.Latch. Mechanism to secure Door to Chassis. Motor to Lock and unLock car Door. To Chassis/VIN 3B-1-049 999. AND Amplifier; switch. Door Actuator Motor.
Fits Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Golf, GTI, Jetta, Jetta GLI, Jetta Wagon, Passat, Passat Wagon

NOTE: Convertible part numbers are different:

Lock. Latch.
This Fits Your 2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible GL 2.0L A/T

Part Number: 3B1837015AT

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
So, VW supplies two DIFFERENT parts for the normal hatchback and a totally different part number for the convertible. You may have wrong parts; plus, many have used aftermarket door lock modules and had problems with them as well.

I would confirm the parts you have and you might need, to break down and go to the vw dealer, to get the correct parts, based upon your VIN # and go from there.

contact your local vw dealer for getting the correct parts:

dealer search:

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
When I have done door repairs on the convertible; I had to reset the windows, for the auto adjustment to work but if the door lock module is WRONG, then the comfort control module may not be able to sense correctly when the door is open or closed. Many members here, have installed used incorrect parts from junk yards; in an attempt to save some money and these have caused problems, as the parts were incompatible, even though they "fit", when installed. VW made a number of running changes over the years and obviously, getting the correct parts installed, makes a difference for everything to work correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your quick answer and time Billymade. Had a chat with the lads in the local mechanic shop i use before I ordered it and they also advised me to go to VW for the part to avoid any trouble. Case of buy cheap buy twice i guess. I'm in London and VW wanted about £220/$280 for the latch - and I came over all mean and miserly and ordered one online instead for £45.

Just for my own sanity could you tell me how you reset the windows after a latch fit on a convertible is done? Is that the hold the switch on for 5 or 10 seconds up and then down i've seen on YT or something more technical?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I have done door repairs on the convertible; I had to reset the windows, for the auto adjustment to work but if the door lock module is WRONG, then the comfort control module may not be able to sense correctly when the door is open or closed. Many members here, have installed used incorrect parts from junk yards; in an attempt to save some money and these have caused problems, as the parts were incompatible, even though they "fit", when installed. VW made a number of running changes over the years and obviously, getting the correct parts installed, makes a difference for everything to work correctly.
(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they discuss the reset in this video;

That's real useful, thanks again. It's probable my glass is a little too tight up against the front vertical window seam and the pinch protection is activated. I guess I'll loosen it off a little and if that don't work then try the adjuster screws for the height of the glass

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By way of an update on this the window started working late last night I guess it's a bit tight up to the vertical seam as mentioned earlier. And the latch unit is for a hard top and does not drop the window. I'm going to open up the original latch unit and inspect and maybe clean the micro switches and see if any solder points look shot.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
They sell replacement microswitches and you could reflow the solder on any cracked joint areas. I successfully repaired mine, installed a new microswitch but it did require full disassembly of the latch mechanism. The main thing i had a issue with; was the external tension spring, be sure to mark its position and out it back in the original position. I didn't and now, I have to pull the door handle twice; to get it to open the door.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts