NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share the dvd player head unit I purchased via E&B Electronics on Amazon.

Its a (new) VM9214 and cost $222 plus shipping. I did some research and got this unit because it has a display when the screen is closed. Lesser/older models do not and make it unusable without the screen being out.

It comes with remote (despite Amazon saying it does not for this model) and is of course fully motorized touch screen. I found the access code to get into the firmware online so you can deactivate the dvd brake override. This way, there is no need for switches or whatever.

I've had it a month and its been great. The usb stick drive on the front is handy and it even remembers what song and how far into the song you were at since you last removed the stick. I no longer need to burn discs or even carry around dvds. It will pull mp3s and video files right off the flash drive.

It has attachments for a navigation unit that I plan to get soon before I begin my spring time road trips.

I was weary of Jensen as a brand name but it appears through feedback they have become a known name within the video head unit arena. I recommend it for those not wanting to sink $500-$1000 in a radio.

I recently checked Amazon again and that sale is no longer there but it may return.

Attachments

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So can you add BT for hands free phone? Or sirrius radio? I really like the idea? Will it work with monsoon amp?
It has the ability to add a bluetooth which will not only act as a phone but also sync so you could stream music and such from your iphone or other device, backup camera, any video system such as a game system, and a iphone adapter to control a ipod or iphone from the touch screen display itself. There is not sat radio hookups but what I have read online here lately is the future is wireless internet and not sat radio.

I guess a lot of companies see the future as streaming Pandora on your iphone or whatever for free *shrugs* Anyway, their higher priced models do have sat radio. I didn't get it because I rather listen to my mp3 flash drive.

As far as the monsoon system, I cannot really say because that was ripped out before I ever bought the car. I know from my past experience in car audio that much of the time you can wire up a aftermarket radio to a factory amp system but there can be exceptions. A quick call to a local stereo shop should answer that question quickly.

There are around 5 models of this screen. I got the second from the lowest model so there are 3 higher ones loaded with more features that I didn't need. I went far enough up to get a display when the screen is closed and front usb plug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts