VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
I'm a new member ...I have a vw beetle soft top 2005 1.8 T s,which has given me years of trouble free motoring...till I brought it to Australia

It's has been regularly serviced by a trusted mechanic in UK...
In the past few weeks after my service ..there seems to be having numerous things going wrong... Or maybe...made to go wrong,... Intuitively I'm leaning this way..

The engine management light came on shortly after my service ... Initially I was told maybe it was down to the type of fuel I was putting in...so the turbo was blown out...what ever that means.... Few days later it popped on again.... Was told it needed a new breather hose...tick

After we got it back...funny noise sounding like exhaust.... Middle bit of exhaust needed changing...tick..

Get it back again...from the same garage...vibration noise from Central bit of the car...more so when turning left... Like some minor...

Told this time I need a new rear engine mount...was shown by the mechanic this am... On the ramps..what the problem was.... Shown the rear engine mount...rubber looks intact. To which I asked why has this only happened after I picked it up from having the exhaust done.... No answer!!! He could nt say apart from he hadn't done anything!!!!

I then proceeded to take it to VW agent... He sat in the car while I drove... Listened to the slight noise when turnin left... Said it could be the exhaust knocking on something... Because it's not a genuine vw part....but wanted equiv of £100 just to put it up on a ramp and if something diagnostic was found I was first to sign an agreement to have the work done.... I wanted a quote... So obviously I left... He said best thing to do go back to wherever the exhaust was fitted it ... Wiggles a lot on the back...it's doesn't wiggle a lot... Arghhh

But I'm fast loosing faith where I originally took it.. Something is telling me not. To trust them...

The sound isn't bad ... Tends to be only when Turing left...around.. The underneath part where the gear stick is...

I have always looked after this car... Had timing belt put on major service before I brought it to Australia .... Well before it was due...it has 94k on the clock now

I understand about wear and tear...etc.... But how do you know if someone is taking the Michael out of you!!!! Where are the honest ppl in this world...
Thanks in advance to any replies
Regards
Judy

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, it is tough to find someone to work on your car, that you trust; I think everyone struggles with this. Trust and believing; what a mechanic/technician tells you, is something we all face. Hopefully, someone in your area; can point you in the direction of a shop that is trustworthy, treat you well and get things fixed correctly. You might want to post in the Australian section of this site: VWVORTEX; ask about shops in your area that work on VWs that people have had positive results with. In my experience, VW enthusiasts always want to help each other out; I can only assume this would be the same in Australia.

Australia

At the mileage; that you are at, 94K... parts will start failing, wear out and that isn't necessarily abnormal, everything has a finite life span, "maintenance parts" of sorts. The key; is to find a shop you can trust and/or start doing things yourself to save money and keep yourself informed by asking questions at forums like this. One thing, I would purchase a scan tool; so, that you can figure out things that are going wrong with your car. This will make you less dependent on getting charged; every time, a check engine light comes on. There are some; that start as little as $40, up to the industry standard VCDS by Ross Tech; which can pretty much do anything the scan tool that VW dealerships use.

inexpensive hand held scan tool ($30 to $50 USD): VAG 405

Amazon.com: vag 405: Automotive

Ross Tech VCDS (requires the use of a Windows based laptop: $250 to $350 USD range):

Ross-Tech: Home

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS

Maybe, you can order these and have family or friends, have one of these scanners sent to you (I don't think Amazon does Australia).

When it comes to exhaust issues; there are a number of mounts, that can break (rubber), pipes can get damaged and the "flex" portion of the exhaust can wear out and break. To examine the exhaust; it is nice to have it up on a rack/lift and you can see everything. This is something; that could be done at home with jack stands and a hydraulic jack, then get under the car and have a look around. Mainly, you are looking for broken parts or sections of the exhaust are loose, indicating a mount has broken or is missing.

Here in the USA; the idea of a "free estimate", seems to be pretty common. I don't know if this is the case in Australia; seems to me, any muffler shop.... should be able to diagnose your system by putting it up on a lift and examining it for you.

Hope this helps; I would post a question of a good VW shop in the VWVORTEX Australian section and see who "pipes up", has some ideas for you. Keep us informed; as your repairs and search for a good VW shop, progresses. :)

PS: here are some links to Aussie VW clubs and websites, that might be helpful as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=New...&ie=UTF-8#q=New+Beetle+club+australia&spell=1

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
not only did billmade tell you what i was going to, but he went above and beyond.

bottom line: dont go back to that fellow.

go to a corporation type shop and have them look at your exhaust. my exhaust only makes a noise if im trying to go up a steep angle and my front tires are MAXED out left and my rear tires comes off the ground. but i have a lowered suspension.

i really wish i could fly to kangaroo town and help. keep us posted please.

-jd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you

Thanks guys for your responses.... So appreciated... :-D

I've already decided not to go back... Something inside has told me that... Very rarely my intuition lets me down... Wish I'd gone in to the Midas shop earlier.. My hubby kept taking our bug back there... But straight away I could smell a rat....

I will look at the website and post on there ...thanks Biillymade .....and 007 :)

Right...posted the same post as here...on the Oz site as you suggested... But added abt trustworthy mechanic :) let's see what happens ...fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land.

It looks like you've already gotten a good bit of information. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts