VW Beetle Forum banner

New exhaust system, maybe catback?

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Beetlebomb 
#1 ·
I have a '99 GLS with the stock exhaust. What I'd really like to do is replace the stock muffler with a better flowing (and sounding) exhaust, but I don't want to spend over, about, $250 to $300 doing it. I want it with the bright dual tips showing, too. Any ideas out there? Links?

#3 ·
Be aware that even a better flowing muffler won't do much for the car's performance because the rest of the exhaust behind it is stock. You're basically shopping for aesthetics: better looks, better sound.

hannaco's suggestion of Borla is one, there's also the VW sport muffler sold at the dealership; it's MSRP is pricier, but you can find it for cheaper online.

#4 ·
I installed a 2.5" Turbo back when I still had stock programming and it made a very noticable difference in the mid-high end. The car pulled much better from 4-6k rpm and it made the car feel extremely smooth. The added sound made the car more fun to drive too. :)

The Downpipe is the biggest bottle neck especially when you up the boost with new software. I would look into getting that too. You should study the classifieds and look for people selling Dowpipes or even full systems. You can often get a full turbo back for $500 or less.

I posted a Wanted To Buy thread and got a reply which ended up with me buying the full TB system I wanted.

#5 ·
paultakeda said:
Be aware that even a better flowing muffler won't do much for the car's performance because the rest of the exhaust behind it is stock. You're basically shopping for aesthetics: better looks, better sound.
I agree, if you want a change and performance you will need to do a full system. It is only going to be as good as the smallest section in the system.

#6 ·
Look on ebay for the Megan Racing 2.5" catback. Its around $250 + shipping, and Megan Racing's stuff is top notch. I use their downpipe (which i got for $100 shipped) with my ATP VES, but will soon be getting their catback system and another downpipe (since i had to hack and weld the current one to install the VES).

Don't waste insane amounts of money on nothing more than PIPE!!

Downpipes are one thing to spend some amount of money on because most time they'll include a hi-flow cat (the Megan piece doesn't, its just a resonator), but so far as cat back I can't believe the amount of money people spend...

#7 ·
Frankly, I'd just go custom at the local mechanic. They can mate a decent cat (which you can specify which one if need be) and a muffler of your choice and sure, it'll very likely be MIG-welded and not as shiny, but like Scarab said, it's pipe. The pretty bit, the muffler, you can go ahead and choose yourself, along with choosing the noise and tone.

Case in point, my 3" turboback cost me $480. That's for a flex section, a high flow cat, a Magnaflow exhaust with hidden tips (there's me saving $20, hehe), and piping.

Buying brand parts for a turboback would have been $800 at the cheapest, plus installation (I am not going to install something like that myself, I know my limits). The only difference is aesthetics -- performance-wise, exactly the same.

#8 ·
Recently I was reading up on the VW cats and I am going to be replacing my APR DP soon and making a custom DP and use my stock cat.. I found this article about the stock cats.......

"VW hasn't used a ceramic cat for many, many years, and never used it on a VR6, G60, or 1.8T model...why? Because there's something better:
a metal substrate cat.

Metal cats flow incredibly well, because they have almost no frontal area (the area that the exhaust gas must pass by), compared to ceramic-based cats. Also, ceramic cats cannot hold a candle to a metal cat when subjected to the high temperatures that a turbo emits. Bottom line, you won't find a better catalyst than the one that's already on your VW."

#9 ·
Find a better catalyst?
Find a better flowing catalytic converter?
BIG difference.

While the VW stock METAL Cat may flow better than a ceramic Cat, it may not flow better than an aftermarket METAL Cat.

I'd imagine the stock VW Metal Cat does flow pretty well, and do a great job at what it was designed to do.
However, a larger downpipe with less bends coupled to a good high flow cat will outperform the stock VW DP/cat.

#10 ·
"paultakeda]Be aware that even a better flowing muffler won't do much for the car's performance because the rest of the exhaust behind it is stock. You're basically shopping for aesthetics: better looks, better sound."

The muffler is the last part of the exhaust system, so what is the bottle neck after the muffler?

#11 ·
I run a custom miltek catback on my turbo S along with a BB downpipe(origionaly made for apr so its identical to the apr 2.5"). It is really quiet but loud enough to know its there, really deep sound outside, I just think its awesome doesn't sound like any other 4cyl. cars. Stratmosphere in NY hooked me up on making the exhaust, but they do have the regular golf system for the normal beetle and the price isn't bad.

#12 ·
I got a VERY nice deal on a Vibrant Stainless Cat Back system on eBay (around $90 shipped!!!) Took it to a local shop who installed it for dirt cheap, and even installed a high flow converter. The difference, even in a 2.0, was very nice!!!! I also noticed that the system which went on was MUCH lighter than the parts they cut off...lighter is better!

#13 ·
I cut off my muffler and had a straight pipe put on. $20 installed at my local muffler shop. It revs quicker and sounds amazing. It has a deep rumble down low a bit deeper than a 350Z and then goes ultra quiet at high rpm's and normal driving. I even had a Sheriff that lives next to me give me a complement.

#14 ·
Really??

hygieneboy said:
I cut off my muffler and had a straight pipe put on. $20 installed at my local muffler shop. It revs quicker and sounds amazing. It has a deep rumble down low a bit deeper than a 350Z and then goes ultra quiet at high rpm's and normal driving. I even had a Sheriff that lives next to me give me a complement.
Hey, I did this for my '91 Chevy full size P/U with the 4.3 V-6, added dual outlet pipes, and it now sounds like a V-8 with dual exhaust! But, does it really work as well as you say for a VW? Geez, if the result is as good as you say, I'll do the same and just add dual, brite stainless steel tips! :D

#15 ·
I have a 1.8T so the turbo actually quiets the exhaust a bit too. On a 2.0 it may be much louder I don't know. It's worth a try and it's very cheap. If you go this route don't forget to give the muffler guy a can of high temp. black spray paint so the welds don't rust down the road.

#17 ·
They took a saw- zaw and cut off the muffler = 30 seconds. They measured a piece of 2-1/2" galvanized steel pipe and downturned the tip and welded it on with a new hanger = 2 minutes. They let me paint it myself good and I was outta there in a few minutes minus $20. That's very reasonable for both parties. Get some estimates around your area and if they wanna charge you more than $40 you're getting ripped off for only a few minutes worth of minimal work.

#19 ·
I am not showing any tips. The tip is tucked up high, painted black and downturned so that it's not even visable. Plus I'm saving about 30 lbs ditching that huge stock muffler. I hate cleaning chrome exhaust tips that get black after 5 mins of driving so I've been going incognito for many years now.

#21 ·
hygieneboy said:
I am not showing any tips. The tip is tucked up high, painted black and downturned so that it's not even visable. Plus I'm saving about 30 lbs ditching that huge stock muffler. I hate cleaning chrome exhaust tips that get black after 5 mins of driving so I've been going incognito for many years now.
That's okay, but I prefer the bright tips, like those that come standard with the Turbo S. Also, would try to get stainless steel rather than chrome...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.