NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys...

In the background, for the past couple of days, I've been working on a new style for the new forums. I've gone ahead and turned it on so you can see it. It's not complete. There are still a number of lingering graphics from the original set that need to be replaced with prettier ones and still some pages that display a little screwy. But, it should be usable enough now, so I wanted to turn it on and get your feedback. As with much of my web design work, there are extra niceties for those of you who choose to use a quality browser like Firefox or Safari -- especially for you Safari users, as it supports CSS's text-shadow, which I've used extensively. But, it will still work fine for you guys that cling to IE for some unholy reason, too. :)

Also note that there I haven't yet finalized the logo image at the top of the page, so that is currently a broken image. I'll get to it.

One final note: you might want to shift-refresh a couple of times on each page to ensure that your broswer is getting the latest stylesheet and images, rather than using the cached old ones.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
14,774 Posts
I love it.

Do we have an ETA for migration? I am so excited to get everyone over here!

We need more smilies, though. :eek: :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BUGNME said:
I just thought of something that is missing, or I just don't see it. Is there a "button" to send a PM on each post?
Click the poster's name in the title bar of the post. You should get a drop-down menu, wchich includes the ability to send them a PM.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
noR said:
Lookin' pretty good. What's text shadow?
The text-shadow property is a CSS3 attribute that lets you put a drop shadow on text. Used creativley, it can also work for creating inset text, a glow around text, etc. Apple WebKit is the only rendering engine that supports it right now (which means Safari, Opera, and the few other WebKit browsers), but word is that Firefox will soon and IE7 will, as well. So, I figured I'd go ahead and use it -- Safari users will see it now, and the others will just get it when they upgrade to a supporting browser. Doesn't hurt anything, and adds a little something for my fellow Safari users. :)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
I love the look of the new style..

Cant say that I am a huge fan of the NEON GREEN color of the Online and the Green arrows..

But that could just be me.. I am pigmentally challenged.. (read color blind)

James

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CrazyJames said:
But that could just be me.. I am pigmentally challenged.. (read color blind)

James
Bah...you and your pesky little disabilities! :D

Teasing, of course...I'll see what I can do about it.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
jcroft said:
Bah...you and your pesky little disabilities! :D

Teasing, of course...I'll see what I can do about it.
You dont really have to do anything about it... its just that the arrows seem so different then the rest of the style.

I find everything so cool and mellow, then these BRIGHT GREEN things glaring on the screen..

Speaking of disabilities, is this site section 508 compliant? I should fire up JAWS and see how horrible it is ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt it'd do very well in JAWS. Although vb has gotten much better with the coding practices in vb3 and vb3.5, it's still pretty much of a mess under the hood. It's VERY frustrating for me, as I write valid and semantic XHTML by default. I left the table-based layout and presentational hacks world for the promised land of CSS and XHTML years ago, and having to deal with this thing is very, very painful. :)

But, like I said -- it's MUCH better than it was before.

As for the green -- I afraid you might get overruled. I rather like it. At least the arrows and stuff. I'm not sure about the green "so and so is online" text, though, because I don't think it's very readable. I'll probably change that. But I think you're stuck with the arrows and new message icons. Sorry, man. :D

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
jcroft said:
I left the table-based layout and presentational hacks world for the promised land of CSS and XHTML years ago, and having to deal with this thing is very, very painful. :)

But, like I said -- it's MUCH better than it was before.

At least the arrows and stuff. I'm not sure about the green "so and so is online" text, though, because I don't think it's very readable. I'll probably change that. :D
I wish I could leave that world and join the promised land...

I can deal with the arrows.. the so and so is online.... :bigthumb:

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
BUGNME said:
Is it NEON GREEN or that stoopid CyberGreen???:p
Bite your tongue missy!:D Cyber Green is not just a color...it's a way of life.:cool:

Site's lookin' good Jeff!

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
What would be nice to see is the forum break down links at the bottom of the page again...

Newbeetle.org Forums > Main Category > NB.org blah blah blah

To make quick forum jumps easier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts