NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Past few days, our 04 beetle with a 2.0 gas engine has been stalling and loosing power in the afternoons when outside temps have been extremly hot, 117F.
I installed a new fuel pump, new fuel filter with a built in pressure regualtor, and fuel pump relay. Now the bug wont start. I can feel the fuel pump run for a second when I cycle the ignition. I have cycle the pump over and over at least a 100 times. I have cranked the engine over quit a bit with no luck. Iv'e even tried a little bit of starting fluid 3 times, the engine ran for 2 seconds then stalled.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it must be the air in the fuel lines, but how do I bleed the fuel line.

One concern I have is with the new Bosh fuel pump I installed. It had a slight narrower circumfrence rim that rested on the tank than from the fuel pump I removed. Went to 3 auto stores, they all sold the same thing. Napa even cross-referenced the part #, and this was the replacement pumb. I think it has something to do with a metal tank vs a plastic tank. It's Sunday and the dealership is closed or I would have gave them a try.

Look like I'm going to have to call in sick tomorrow. Any ideas of what I need to do, please help.

Thanks!!!

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Hi all,
Past few days, our 04 beetle with a 2.0 gas engine has been stalling and loosing power in the afternoons when outside temps have been extremly hot, 117F.
I installed a new fuel pump, new fuel filter with a built in pressure regualtor, and fuel pump relay. Now the bug wont start. I can feel the fuel pump run for a second when I cycle the ignition. I have cycle the pump over and over at least a 100 times. I have cranked the engine over quit a bit with no luck. Iv'e even tried a little bit of starting fluid 3 times, the engine ran for 2 seconds then stalled.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it must be the air in the fuel lines, but how do I bleed the fuel line.

One concern I have is with the new Bosh fuel pump I installed. It had a slight narrower circumfrence rim that rested on the tank than from the fuel pump I removed. Went to 3 auto stores, they all sold the same thing. Napa even cross-referenced the part #, and this was the replacement pumb. I think it has something to do with a metal tank vs a plastic tank. It's Sunday and the dealership is closed or I would have gave them a try.

Look like I'm going to have to call in sick tomorrow. Any ideas of what I need to do, please help.

Thanks!!!

Hate to ask this but are you sure you installed it with flow going the correct way? I don't know how dramatically different the design is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel lines to the pump held there shap and one is longer than the other, so they got connected as attached to the old pump. As far as the filter, one side has 2 fuel lines, and the other side with on fuel line to connect, so no mix up there.

Thanks for the interest.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
The fuel lines to the pump held there shap and one is longer than the other, so they got connected as attached to the old pump. As far as the filter, one side has 2 fuel lines, and the other side with on fuel line to connect, so no mix up there.

Thanks for the interest.
Only stock fuel filter I've seen has one pipe in and one out. The vehicle already has a fuel pressure regulator at the fuel rail, I'd suggest going back to the stock filter even just as a diagnostic.

The fact that she runs on starting fluid tells you that the problem is fuel related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem discovered. The new relay only has 7 pins. The old relay had 8. Installed the old relay and she fired right up. Live and learn, look at the replacement relay closely. Thanks all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final chapter. Whent to the dealership, and O'Reillys (checker auto) and both sold the same 7 pin relay, with the number 409 printed in bold print on the relay as the original one on the vehicle has. The one auto zone sold me had a different number, although the picture on their monitor show the relay should have the number 409. they sold me the only one they had, so no way to compare with another one on the shelf. About 4 years ago, VW update the relay to a seven pin that should work, according to the dealership. So, either auto zone sold me a faulty relay or had the incorrect relay in a box label for my beetle. I got a refund and am using the original relay wich seem to be working fine.

I am curious about the change from 8 pin to 7 pin fuel pump relay if anyone has insight on the issue.

This project is done.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I am having a problem with this relay too. My new one is a 7 pin and i did notice that the car will start but only when the driver door is shut. As soon as you open it, it shuts off. I am still trying to figure out why.
I've reposted your post over on this new thread which was also started today. Identical problem, no sense in this running two different places.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52950-replaced-fuel-pump-relay-now-car-wont-start.html#post761682

M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Note 7 pin relay will work but you must close drivers door wierd i know but that is the deal with 7 pin relay not working just close drivers door

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Note 7 pin relay will work but you must close drivers door wierd i know but that is the deal with 7 pin relay not working just close drivers door
Hmm, this might be my problem.
My bug will start (had to install a kill switch...but that's another story) and runs like a top, BUT if I open the driver's door, she'll cut off right away. Is this what you're referring to, AUTO?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts