NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
GhiaFixer
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the forum (just signed-up). It seems like someone in family or myself has always owned a VW. My wife and I have been driving a 1969 Karmann Ghia since 1987. And growning-up my family had a Beetle and her family had a Karmann Ghia. So we've loved our VWs a long time. We finally (this pass summer) got a shiny new 2005 New Beetle Convert (Harvest Moon, with a tan top) and love it. The wife saw it at the dealer and had to have it.

Anyways I was looking for a dead pedal and thought this one looked cool.

http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=17779

Anybody know if Doublebug is still making these? How do I get a hold of him? I'm new to this forum stuff. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Out of the almost 50 orders recieved, Jassen made a total of 6 of these, 1 prototype (his) and 5 for org members. 5 were shipped and only 4 ever arrived. The 5th one got lost in the mail.

These are the org members that recieved thiers.

Fowvay

Strorg

Blownbug

xeres

I think I am the only remaining org member left out of that list.. :(

As for what happened to Jassen.. The rumor mill says. (this is rumor only and not confirmed with Jassen.) That Jassen was um borrowing the materials from work and got fired over it. I guess that would explain how he could sell these for $20 shipped since the material costs were over $20 and the shipping on mine was $9.

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
Fowvay said:
Here is a pic of mine installed.. and no it's not forsale... at this time at least unless someone makes me a stuipid offer. :D

What kind of material were they made out of? They look Stainless, but I can make aluminum look that good too. Can you give me some dimensions, like how thick, and how is it attached? I might have to see if I can make one, and reproduce them.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I will give you some basics..

10 or 12 Gauge T304 Stainless steel (it's really thick), CNC machined, Held on with a single screw in the upper left hand corner and secured with 3M tape in the lower sections (totally unnecessary).

Honestly... I really don't want this duplicated. I like having the only one. It's part of what makes Pomelo so special. :D

·
I Luv CGB!!!
2,128 Posts
I know I saw that dead pedal before. I was looking all over Org, but the right place. I thought it was on yours Tom. I wanted to buy one. Well now I know they were custom made. KansasDiesel, if you can fabricate them I would buy one. BTW Pomelo is special no matter what!!:)

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
FineExampl said:
That is so unfair. If i had a spare i'd donate it for dimension copying.

Tom you know we all want one of those. It could be an org badge of honor.

I have shared more tips and helped more people in the VW community than I can even begin to count. If I want to keep one little thing for myself... I think I have earned that right. :)

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
Papa Bug said:
I know I saw that dead pedal before. I was looking all over Org, but the right place. I thought it was on yours Tom. I wanted to buy one. Well now I know they were custom made. KansasDiesel, if you can fabricate them I would buy one. BTW Pomelo is special no matter what!!:)
I have so many irons in the fire right now if I add another one I will surely get burned.:D

If I run into some spare Alum. I might try to make one out of that then we will see if they can be made and reproduced, I have no way of cutting stainless like that but I can do alum..

I think it looks great. But to Keep Fowvay with a one of a kind I might have to make it look a little bit different...:rolleyes:

·
I Luv CGB!!!
2,128 Posts
I don't blame Fowvay for wanting to have a one of a kind item to himself. If I was in his shoes I would too.:wink2: KansasDiesel if you don't have the time that's cool. But if you do come up with something I'd still be interested.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
KansasDiesel said:
I have so many irons in the fire right now if I add another one I will surely get burned.:D

If I run into some spare Alum. I might try to make one out of that then we will see if they can be made and reproduced, I have no way of cutting stainless like that but I can do alum..

I think it looks great. But to Keep Fowvay with a one of a kind I might have to make it look a little bit different...:rolleyes:
(reviving an old thread)

Have you had any time to put into making these?
I was thinking, to make them different, to go with the GTI 337/20AE look with the dots. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Yeah, I was in contact with Jassen to do a custom one-off of the Marvin logo I have on my bug - he agreed to it and everything looked like it was going to work out....then he disappeared :(

Oh well - I will settle for my almost one-of-a-kind green powdercoated Mohawk set.:cool:

I suppose for a price you can draw out your own then have http://www.bigbluesaw.com/ produce it for ya. That was the first thing I thought of when this place came on line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its me, doublebug

First off let me apologize for disappearing. I had a rough time with designs being copied. It was really frustrating. I can't say too much more beyond that.

I am going to change the design a little and I have to limit these to 5 a week. If they take off like they did before I will see what I can do to increase production. I am going to get ahead of myself a little so I will need a week or two to make the changes and get a few run off. I'll be back with further details and the slightly new look. I do know the price will be higher than before, I hope it won't be by much. The cost of metal has risen over the past few years. Does anyone know if the redesigned Beetle has the same pedal?

thanks and I understand if no interest is left.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
doubyelbug said:
First off let me apologize for disappearing. I had a rough time with designs being copied. It was really frustrating. I can't say too much more beyond that.

I am going to change the design a little and I have to limit these to 5 a week. If they take off like they did before I will see what I can do to increase production. I am going to get ahead of myself a little so I will need a week or two to make the changes and get a few run off. I'll be back with further details and the slightly new look. I do know the price will be higher than before, I hope it won't be by much. The cost of metal has risen over the past few years. Does anyone know if the redesigned Beetle has the same pedal?

thanks and I understand if no interest is left.
:clap: Yay!!! I can't wait. :clap:

Is there any way you could do like a 337/20AE style? I'd post a pic, but i cant seem to get on ECS's website right now.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
You were only charging $20 for those?! I paid $90 for a dead, brake, and accel pedal. Where was i back in the day?! Even if the cost was $30 that would still be a bargain.

Would it have the rubber innards?? Is it based on the Turbo S dead pedal and does it install that same way?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts