VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here it goes.

I have a chance to buy a 1998 vw beetle 2.0 gas from a family friend. 130,xxx miles for 600 bucks fresh rebuilt transmission (less than 5k miles on it), new tires and aftermarket rims, and radio. very well taken care of car. I really want for the mpg it will get and also driven it before and it's a fun little car.
Now here is why its 600 bucks, for some reason the motor lost oil pressure and tossed a rod, motor seems to be 100% junk. I have been around to some local import yards and one I trust has motors with less than 80k miles already pulled and ready to rock and roll for just under 600 bucks.
I have also priced out the parts for a manual transmission swap for about 700-800 bucks. I can do all the swap work myself I am not worried or afraid of the work that will need to be done. I have done most of the research already.

Now what I would like is an opinion from some of the new beetle owners what they thing about it, no one around where I live is any help because most of them hate imports.
thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The beetle is a solid car, just requires regular maintenance like most cars do. I recently purchased a 2000 1.9 tdi beetle for $2500. and am nearly up to $5000 with all the maintenance that was neglected by the previous owners. I'm still working out a fiew issues but it should be finished soon. I guess i'm just saying expect extra costs and try and stay within the working value of the vehicle. Good luck

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Do it. I have on my 99 beetle for over 12 years now. Absolutely love it. Just be sure to put a new timing belt and waterpump on that motor before you install it in the car. It's a lot easier on the bench. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the bits of knowledge and advice on this. I think I am going to go for it. I don't see any reason not too. And replacing the water pump and timing belt on the bench is a very good idea that never really crossed my mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts