NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey girls and guys, I am Josh from the great state of Alabama. I myself drive a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS turbo, but the girlfriend has a 2001 VW New Beetle 2.0L and this is why I am here. She came home and I noticed it was knocking pretty hard. Ive thought about this for awhile if I want to do an engine replacement, bottom end, or just do rod bearings. The car has only 100k on it which I find sad that the rod is knocking so soon. Just wanted to get your input and see what yall think is the best option and maybe find me some good prices on the parts thanks

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
What to do

Well if it were me and i was going to do all the work myself.I would just rebuild the whole thing all the way and make sure you put the right oil in it.Not to say she did not .Just shocked it's knocking ??? If you are going to do the job do it right :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now I just need to get it running. that's why I know if I do the rod bearings that it could hold up for 500 miles 5000 miles or for good. But eventually It will get a new engine or she will just get another car. She just wants to get it running so that way she has a way around and have freedom of not having to ask for a ride. So far other then ebay I haven't found an engine Assembly even the junk yards don't have any that I would recommend buying

·
Registered
11,557 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
How is the oil level in the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i haven't replied, the mid piece on the dipstick tube appears to have been broken off by wal-mart. who then stuck it on the block right behind the tube. they apparently told my gf they put to much oil in it then drained some, then talked her into sea-foaming the car. well I finally got to tear it down today and number 1 has spun and number 4 was about to. I have alot of what appears to be copper metal shavings in the pan. along with pieces of the orange tube. If I would of done this back when it started instead of leaving the car sitting still for 9 months I could of probably had them pay for it all but I didnt and that sucks. Im now debating on just putting in rod bearings or a whole engine. I went to a junk yard earlier only engine they had was being pulled by another guy for his beetle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sorry i haven't replied, the mid piece on the dipstick tube appears to have been broken off by wal-mart. who then stuck it on the block right behind the tube. they apparently told my gf they put to much oil in it then drained some, then talked her into sea-foaming the car. well I finally got to tear it down today and number 1 has spun and number 4 was about to. I have alot of what appears to be copper metal shavings in the pan. along with pieces of the orange tube. If I would of done this back when it started instead of leaving the car sitting still for 9 months I could of probably had them pay for it all but I didnt and that sucks. Im now debating on just putting in rod bearings or a whole engine. I went to a junk yard earlier only engine they had was being pulled by another guy for his beetle.
Don't beat yourself over waiting to long to make Walmart pay. I'll be willing to bet you would have had a hard time at it....then again if they were honest you may have. Years ago we purchased a brand new Chevy Venture mini van when kids were little. My very first oil change took it to Walmart when I went out to get it the back bumper had a big gash in it. I was pissed! They wouldn't cover it, park at your own risk even though they were the ones that parked it after oil was changed. :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts