VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up an 01 Beetle 1.8 Turbo last year & it's my first VW of any kind. Just under 90k miles, and the price was right, so I figured I would pick it up. Well...I have since learned about these things and all the crazy repairs some of them need.

A few weeks after buying it...new timing belt, alternator, BOTH water pumps, thermostat, gaskets and so on. Oh and the previous owner didn't pay attention to the fact that the car rides so low, that all of the underbelly pans were ripped completely off...ALL of them, lol! Fortunately there was no other damage.

Anyhow - other than this $1800 repair, and then a few other oddities since then, it had been doing OK. Then the fun began again a few weeks ago. Every so often it just wouldn't start...well $600+ for the camshaft & crankshaft position sensors, that problem has been taken care of.

Check engine light...based on reading all of the helpful info on this forum, the codes that I had been getting (offhand I can't remember which ones, P0411 or something like that), I determined that I have the dry rotted vaccum hose issues. Pulled the cover off the engine & sure enough, some of the vac hoses under the hood are still the original cloth covered ones & very dry. So that's on my project list for an upcoming day (right now it still runs OK).

But the major nagging issue...ABS and traction control lights would turn on occasionally, then more frequently & then almost daily, so I figured it's time to look into the issue. I did check the ABS-related fuses, and cleaned the fuse blades thoroughly and reinstalled them. No change. Visual checks didn't reveal anything else out of whack - all of the exposed wiring under the vehicle looked fine & all connections are still good and did not show any sign of water intrusion.

So I figured the only thing left would be either cleaning or replacing the ABS sensors. After reading about this process & learning that most often, they don't come out without a fight, I picked up on a complete set of ABS sensors for all 4 wheels before I started the job, as I didn't want to get partway thru the job and realize the only way to remove the original ones was to basically bust them out. Which I wound up doing on on the fronts. I never did replace the rears - those are going to be a PITA without having the car up on a lift, so I might leave these to my mechanic.

So after wrestling with these buggers, I succeeded in replacing both front sensors. But now a new problem...whenever I come to a stop, at really low speeds (like maybe 5-6 MPH), the ABS kicks in, just about on EVERY stop. Fortunately it doesn't do it at higher speeds, but even so, it's startling when it does it, and obviously something still is not right. After a few times of stopping with the ABS kicking in, the ABS and traction control lights are back on once again.

To me it feels like the right front wheel is the culprit - when this happens, there's a distinct feeling like the vehicle wants to go toward the left.

Is there a chance I got a bad sensor perhaps? I mean, once the old one was out, installation of the new one was a no-brainer - clean out the mounting hole, slip the thing in, secure it with the cap screw, plug the connector back in. So it's not like it's installed incorrectly. Granted, the ones I got were from ebay, so the entire set of 4 cost me all of $35 (yes I AM trying to be cheap...the car has been a money pit since I bought it, and I was ready to bite the bullet & just get rid of the car, but I knew trying to sell it with the ABS light on would definitely deter most potential buyers and/or cause the price to go way down).

Ok...so I'm having 2nd thoughts of getting rid of the car, as it was supposed to be for my daughter, so I'm thinking I would try to get the ABS issue taken care of & hopefully it wouldn't have any more major stuff to do for awhile.

So is there a possibility that I got a bad sensor? Or should I pick up a better quality set? Or is there something else I should be looking for? Right now I'm out of ideas.

Thank you!!!
Bob

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
You need to get a VW specific scanner; so, you can read trouble codes and/or be able to do output tests and see if the sensors are working etc.

You can get a basic Vgate VS450 for $50 off of amazon.com or go VW factory level scan tool, with the VCDS by Ross Tech. If you cannot read trouble codes; you are basically, flying blind. Get a scanner; read the cosdes and post them up here, stop throwing parts at the problem and troubleshoot, the issue intelligently!

Check out this thread for more info and examples of using the VW scan type tools, to figure out what is going on! :) Post up those codes and we will go from there! :cool:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/87153-abs-lights.html

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
billymade: Thanks for the advice on picking up the VS450 scanner, went ahead & did so.

To update the progress on the Beetle. Found that when I replaced the right front ABS sensor, it was not fully seated in the sensor mounting hole. I didn't clean the rust out enough, and because of this, the sensor would not go far enough in & was not close enough to the ring to pick up a good signal. Removed the sensor, took a Dremel tool & ground out the rust in the hole until the sensor fully seated itself, and that took care of the ABS kicking in at 10mph whenever I was coming to a stop. So at least that issue has been taken care of.

It did not, however, take care of the ABS and traction control lights turning on. While they did go away, it seems like when the car sits out in the sun, the problem comes back (in other words, when I leave home in the morning, the car sits in the garage...no dash lights on. Get to work, park outside, hop in later, the lights are on. Same routine every day when it's sunny, same sequence of lights, but not usually the case on cloudy days...strange, huh?).

So I hooked up the VS450 last night & took some readings when I got home from work.

Here's what was displayed on the VS450 screen relating to the ABS matter:
000283 - 163 01/02
KWP1281
Front Left ABS Wheel
Speed Sensor (G47)
---------------------
static- No define

AND

000283 - 144 02/02
KWP1281
Front Left ABS Wheel
Speed Sensor (G47)
----------------------
sporadic - signal
outside tolerance

Being that I did not have the VS450 before replacing the sensors, I can only assume that it was setting the same codes back then. But now I have two brand new sensors installed on the front wheels, and I'm still getting the issue with the left front sensor.

Which is leading me to believe it might be the wiring to the sensor. While at quick glance, the connector & harness visually look OK, I will have to take a really close look at it this weekend to see if maybe there's damage to the wiring or an iffy connector.

If anyone has any advice on specifically what to look for or where to focus my efforts, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!
Bob

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, check out theses videos; that were in the thread I linked to. The second Youtube video here:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=vag+com+abs+sensor+testing&tbm=vid

The guy; takes a multimeter and does basic continuity test and confirms the ciruits are ok, VCDS would be nice to be able to see "live data" that confirm, the sensors are "seeing" the tone wheels and the circuit is working as it should.

Check out the factory manual; for troubleshooting and testing procedures here:

wiring diagrams:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-1.8L Turbo (AWV) (2001) > Brakes and Traction Control > Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems > Wheel Speed Sensor > Component Information > Diagrams > Diagram Information and Instructions > Page 6

testing and repair:

This iis for a 2003 2.0L but I would assume; would be similar: I was having a hard time, finding troubleshooting/repair info under the 01/02 turbo manual.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-2.0L (AZG) (2003) > Brakes and Traction Control > Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems > Wheel Speed Sensor > Component Information > Testing and Inspection > Checking or Removing and Installing Rotor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thank you kindly for the info. Now to just find the time to troubleshoot...so much to do so little time, lol! But at least I have something to start with when I have some free time to look into this.

Anyhow - on a side note, I think I have determined my P0411 check engine light code. I started by replacing all of the vacuum hoses on the top of the engine with new silicone hoses, as most of them were still original and literally fell apart when I touched them. So while that actually didn't have any effect on the car getting the same code shortly after replacing the hoses, it was a necessary repair, so it was time well spent and an inexpensive relatively easy fix.

So when I was poking around under the hood yesterday, I took a look at the air injection pump, and just so happened to notice it, like so many others, had loose rivets. So while I didn't repair this yet, I'm pretty positive that once I do the repair that was posted on this site back in 2009, coincidentally on this very date, by Audiomechanic, I think that will take care of the problem. Excellent, well written article: http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/39387-how-repair-air-injection-pump.html

Really appreciate the wealth of information on this site. I really want to keep the car, and will be much happier when I can work some of the "bugs" out of it, lol! Sorry, couldn't resist! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts