NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, my name's Lee and I'm a VW noob :D I've worked on older import cars but nothing with a hydraulic clutch and now I think I have a big problem on my hands.
I'm working on my gf's 99 NB 5sp I can't seem to readjust the gear selector cable. The carrier for the gear selector cable broke recently so I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. It was easy enough to put in but as soon as I tried shifting into a gear, nothing happened. The car would still be in neutral.

I can't figure out what the issue could be. I tried adjusting the nut on the carrier to no prevail. I tried loosening and then tightening the fulcrum pin in the shift assembly and that also didn't work. I also tried loosening and tightening the bolt for the gate selector cable but nothing (all advice from Haynes Tech manual).

I believe this particular NB is an MKIII? with an 02J? shift assembly. I did some online search and many posts suggests simply readjusting the nut on the carrier but my issue seems more complicated...vids helped a bit but most were for newer models.

After playing with it more (loosening/ tightening the fulcrum pin and the gate selector cable and adjusting the nut on the carrier) the shift lever itself seemed very stiff and unable to shift into 2/4/5 gears. It will really only go into reverse. Shifting into 1st also engages reverse. I fear I may have done more damage than good.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks a lot!!! I apologize beforehand if I wasn't suppose to post this kind of thread on this page. I'm also a noob to forums :D

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

Try re-posting your issue and question here - http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts