VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my friends 2001 Turbo Beetle and have hit a speed bump. The car has a couple of codes. It has had a mass air flow sensor code for quite a while, but just recently we got a code for cylinder 3 misfire. Today I replaced the coil pack for cylinder 3 and no difference. It still runs rough and the check engine light blinks. I did notice a ticking and disconnected the injector for cylinder 3, the car ran the same, no worse or no better, but the ticking went away for the most part. When I drove it about 3 months ago (before this problem) I noticed that it seems to bog down when accelerating and gets up to speed when the turbo kicks in. It was also hard to start and has gotten worse. Any ideas? The codes are P0102,
P0300,P0303.

She isn't too worried about it since she has another car, and will eventually trade this one in, however I'm hoping to buy the beetle from her as she gets closer to a new car. I know 2001 isn't an ideal year but I really love her car for some reason. It would also be cool to have a 1972 and 2001 beetle :D

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
You're off to a good start on figuring it out.

Misfire codes can be caused by several things. Normally misfire codes point to the coil/voltage 'leak'.

However keep in mind that it can also be caused by fuel issues, air issues (severe vacuum leaks)..cylinder issues (cringe).

Also keep in mind that fuel injectors do tick normally when they work. If it's a lot louder then the other ones? Yeah that is something to consider.

I'd be interested in checking the spark plug itself. (ONLY pull a spark plug out of the engine when the thing is stone cold!!)

Always start with basic stuff. It also wouldn't hurt to ask when the fuel filter was changed---and look into possible issues with fuel delivery.

Kinda wide spec here---But it's a tough one without having the car in front of me.

Is it possible for you to do a compression test? Just to ensure no physical issues with the #3 engine? If you need to know how to do this test, please ask.

S-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. It may be a few days before I see the car again. I might ask if I can just bring it to my house. My thoughts before this problem (when it was bogging down) was that the fuel filter may need to be replaced. She said she's never done it. Not sure about previous owners. It has 160,000 miles and she always seems to run the gas way low. So I might start there, as well as the compression test if I can find my tester again! Haha! VW's are new to me, I'm more of a GM muscle car guy, but did recently pick up a '72 Bug. I really love her car and hate to see it in this shape. I'm hoping can rescue it.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I'd start with the basic maintenance then. Fuel filter and spark plugs. I'm not sure how VW does the injectors.... I know Bosch a little bit due to rebuilding the ones in my Ford. Also check the fuel pressure regulator, as the rubber hose likes to break and then you have a nice vacuum leak--and uncontrolled fuel pressure.

Have a care with the plastic clips that hold the lines on the filter. They are very very 'simple' in design...and you'll be cussing them out because they are that simple--and a huge PITA at first to figure out.

S-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do. I'll see tomorrow if maybe I can just bring it to my house where I have my ramps and a better selection of tools. I appreciate the help!

-Joe

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
valve cover gasket

If the valve cover gasket has never been replaced than that could well be your problem since these cars are known to have gasket issues and leak oil into the spark plugs , especially on older model years. Good luck to ya .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the valve cover gasket has never been replaced than that could well be your problem since these cars are known to have gasket issues and leak oil into the spark plugs , especially on older model years. Good luck to ya .
I've thought about that. I had the same issue in a Honda that I use to own. I'm thinking about just changing the plugs, doing the compression test while they are out, replacing the fuel filter, and checking the vacuum lines and going from there. I might pull it in the garage today and tinker with it since it's so cold here! I'll let you guys know what happens and if you think of anything, let me know!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
dont forget to check the voltage at each injector clip to rule out an electrical problem there. I'm dealing with a #4 misfire right now. that one plug doesnt have any voltage and im haveing trouble tracing the short. Just FYI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts