NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’ve joined here to learn more. My daughter just bought a 2005 beetle with the 2.0L gas engine. It’s in excellent condition with 68,000 miles (from original owner).

From what I’ve been able to find the recommended oil viscosity Is 5W-40.

I typically buy the mobile 1 synthetic oil for my vehicles (from Walmart online). However they do not list this viscosity. They do have 0W-40 available. The Mobil 1 filter is supposed to be M1-205A.

Since working on this car will be new to me I’m trying to find out what viscosity oil the car can take (without any negative long term effects)

By the way I own a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI & a 2015 dodge RAM. Those vehicles I am familiar with working on.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,884 Posts
The 2.0 is pretty forgiving. The biggest thing is that the oil meets the 502 00 spec from VW.

I always ran 5w40 in my 2.0. I run Castrol, which you can get in the 5 qt jugs from Walmart for pretty cheap. Its what I've run in my cars for years - my 2.0 Beetle ran it, my '03 GTI, and now my '16 GTI all run it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I’ve been able to discern the Castrol edge is not considered a full synthetic motor oil

I’ve always had great success with the mobile 1 synthetic motor oil in the past. Their 0w-40 meets that specifications. It seems that the 5W-40 is difficult to find in Mobil 1

Is there any downside to running this 0W-40? I live on Long Island New York.

Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
10,884 Posts
I will say that Castrol Edge is what the VW dealerships use. So if its good enough for them, its good enough for me! Works fine in my older cars and our newer ones. Zero issues with sludge, etc.

Again, the biggest issue is running the correct spec. If it meets spec, I don't see why its an issue to run it. I know many do use it. But I like sticking with the weight that VW recommends, which is 5w40 or 5w30, from what I remember from my owners manual.

·
Registered
744 Posts
In our '05 New Beetle Convertible (that we bought used eight or nine years ago), I've personally always used 5W-30 Mobil 1. It meets the 502 00 spec from VW. I always use a Bosch filter and a new drain plug washer when I change the oil on ours.

The drain plug washer is an aluminum crush washer and it's best to always put a new one on when you change the oil, IMHO. I got a 10 pack of the washers many years ago and still have several left. I can't remember if I bought them on Amazon or got them at the VW dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Jeff2
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing