VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

So new to the beetle! I just got my first diesel! It's an auto tdi Diesel 2000. I really like the car so far.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome! One thing to be aware of is the auto transmissions tend to have issues. You also may consider joining Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community for engine info. Lots to learn there on the tdi diesel. Make sure you get the timing belt changed with a proper kit and someone with the correct tools and knowledge to do the job correctly. The one major loss of these cars is improper timing belt jobs. tdiclub has vendors that sell the kits, tools and info needed to do it yourself and a list of recommended mechanics that have experience with these. Owning or knowing someone with a RossTech VCDS cable is also a good thing!

Get the belt done now if you don't have exact info on what was changed, who did the work, and they did it correctly. My current Beetle was a victim of an improper job where the tensioner was set incorrectly. I picked up the one owner car in nice condition for $1200. Cost $2800 to get the engine back and running.

·
MOGOandTicToc
17 Posts
Hey newbie. Welcome to the world of the VWB. fred3rd and I are from the NEPA area, and we belong to an all new beetle group called KEYSTONE KÄFERS on Facebook. Look us up if you're interested in bringing to a group of like minded individuals. See ya there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! One thing to be aware of is the auto transmissions tend to have issues. You also may consider joining Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community for engine info. Lots to learn there on the tdi diesel. Make sure you get the timing belt changed with a proper kit and someone with the correct tools and knowledge to do the job correctly. The one major loss of these cars is improper timing belt jobs. tdiclub has vendors that sell the kits, tools and info needed to do it yourself and a list of recommended mechanics that have experience with these. Owning or knowing someone with a RossTech VCDS cable is also a good thing!

Get the belt done now if you don't have exact info on what was changed, who did the work, and they did it correctly. My current Beetle was a victim of an improper job where the tensioner was set incorrectly. I picked up the one owner car in nice condition for $1200. Cost $2800 to get the engine back and running.

All great info! The guy who sold me the vehicle was a lover of the vehicle! He told me just about the same info as you. He had just done everything with the belt. My car was a labor of love it seems. I am very glad for it too. It seems the mechanic in my area knows about the beetle.

However if anyone does know of any in the chambersburg, PA area who are well known for fixing beetles, I can always take a look. =3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey newbie. Welcome to the world of the VWB. fred3rd and I are from the NEPA area, and we belong to an all new beetle group called KEYSTONE KÄFERS on Facebook. Look us up if you're interested in bringing to a group of like minded individuals. See ya there!
I just joined, can't hurt to know and be involved with people who know and love your vehicle. ^_^

I am well on my way to learning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, my car is in the mechanic. I am pretty sure my transmission started slipping. I a really upset about it all.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
In that case; you probably have a 01M four speed; these are known, to have valve body problems. Many have installed a rebuilt valve body and had good success, fixing their shifting problems (it could be other internal issues; there are no guarantees). For more info; on the 01M, check out this site:

Kansas City TDI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts