NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've learned a lot from this site about the VW keying system. I have a 2003 NB and I recently purchased a new key and programming from my local VW dealership to the tune of about $200.00, but they were unable to program the new key ordered through them. The tech. said for some reason the car will only recognize one key. They also told us originally, they needed both keys for the programming. Does anybody know if there can be a problem with the car, that prevents the new key from being programmed or working once it has? The tech. had no idea what it might be. They refused to refund my money and want more to find out what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I've learned a lot from this site about the VW keying system. I have a 2003 NB and I recently purchased a new key and programming from my local VW dealership to the tune of about $200.00, but they were unable to program the new key ordered through them. The tech. said for some reason the car will only recognize one key. They also told us originally, they needed both keys for the programming. Does anybody know if there can be a problem with the car, that prevents the new key from being programmed or working once it has? The tech. had no idea what it might be. They refused to refund my money and want more to find out what the problem is.
First of all I would never go to that dealer again. That said they need all the keys because old keys should be wiped out when you program the new ones.

If they could only program one key and it is not the new one, I would think the key is defective. If it does not matter then the control module could be coded incorrectly. From what I recall, I remember the immobilizer being a fairly simple process.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info BME, that gives me a few more things to question. this is the only dealer in my area unfortunately. The info. doc32469 provided stated the keys can't be reprogrammed to the car. They are ROM. Does that mean I need to get two new keys and wipe my only original? All I wanted was a spare in case the only one I have was lost.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Thanks for the info BME, that gives me a few more things to question. this is the only dealer in my area unfortunately. The info. doc32469 provided stated the keys can't be reprogrammed to the car. They are ROM. Does that mean I need to get two new keys and wipe my only original? All I wanted was a spare in case the only one I have was lost.
That does not sound correct, When I worked at the dealer all the keys were wiped which is why we had to have them all at the same time. Then we would program them all again at the same time. Also if we replaced an instrument cluster we would have to recode all the keys to that cluster. This tells me that they can be reprogrammed. I have a box of VW tech training books in my garage. I will check and see if I have something on immobilizer after the kids are in bed in a bit.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I don't have an immobilizer book, but I feel pretty confident about that. The new beetle book I have is from 1998 so it does not have immobilizer in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BME. I appreciate the info. The info from doc32469 said the car had to be programmed to the key, and perhaps there is a problem with my car accepting new programming. I guess if I want to find out for sure it will cost me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks BME. I appreciate the info. The info from doc32469 said the car had to be programmed to the key, and perhaps there is a problem with my car accepting new programming. I guess if I want to find out for sure it will cost me.
I have one key and want to get another key for my wife. And I need get the whole case cause the ring holder was broke off when I got it so had to micky mouse it to attach to the rest of my keys. I've read somewhere how to program it. If i find it I'll link it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I have one key and want to get another key for my wife. And I need get the whole case cause the ring holder was broke off when I got it so had to micky mouse it to attach to the rest of my keys. I've read somewhere how to program it. If i find it I'll link it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You can buy the case on eBay and just swap the guts, it is around $10.

HQRP Flip Key FOB Shell Remote Case fits Volkswagen VW Mk4 MK5 Typ 1J Typ 1K R32

http://bit.ly/UBQsq7

1 - 12 of 12 Posts