VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody:

New to this forum, but not to Beetles! Owned quite a few over the years. Currently have a 2014 New Beetle TDI (two thousand miles)and am having a big problem with wheel balance on a set of snow tires and aluminum aftermarket wheels I just bought. Purchased 17X7 IGW wheels and Hancook 215/55/17 ICEPT IZ tires. Using IGW's lug bolts and centering hubs. Dealer shows them balanced on his machine, but the car shakes significantly when driven. Rebalanced all four and switched front tires to rear. Problem is worse, and car now pulls to right. Car shakes bad to 50mph, then vibrates to 70mph. Sun visors humm....=0)

Tire dealer is at a loss. Anybody have experience with this problem? Don't want to drive it anymore.....no fun....

Thanks,

TomnIdaho

·
Registered
104 Posts
Balancing beads should smooth out your situation. Save some money and buy a jar of airsoft bb's, they do the same balancing for about $8 at Walmart. Add 3 or 4 ounces in each tire. I have them in my '55 Chevy, 1960 Rambler and my Jeep. A jar will do 8 tires, you have to break the bead to put them inside the tire, they don't fit into the valve stem. Remove any weights that are on the wheel.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
It's a "Beetle", not a "New Beetle"...

I would suggest picking up a set of used OEM VW wheels to mount your snows on. Your problems will disappear. Flip the IGWs on craigslist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Balancing new snow tires & new wheels

A friend of mine who owns a tire store in Detroit told me not to use balancing beads in large tire applications. He said they work well on motorcycles, but not on cars and trucks. It surprises me to hear that they are working on automobiles.

What is wrong with the ICW wheels? Why won't they work on a VW?

NorthIdahoTom

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
What is wrong with the ICW wheels? Why won't they work on a VW?

NorthIdahoTom
I think you answered your own question:

Problem is worse, and car now pulls to right. Car shakes bad to 50mph, then vibrates to 70mph.
I'm not saying that you won't be able to get them to work. However, it might be time to cut your losses and go stock to make sure you don't have vibes. If you want to stick with your ICWs, start with the basics. The ID and OD of your hubcentric rings. Your aftermarket lug bolts. Loosen all the lugs, retorque by hand yourself with a torque wrench to FSM spec. Get the wheels/tires balanced somewhere else. Have them road force balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700. Just keep crossing off all the possibilities...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts