VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all im new to this site looking tet some help from fellow vw owners. I have a 2002 vw beetle 2.0l motor 5 speed transmission. im having an issue where the car will not turn over. all the dash lights radio windows horn lights etc works but when I turn the car to start theres absolutely nothing. the fuel pump humms, but not getting any noise from starter engagement. any help? I check fuses bypassed the clutch safetys to see if that was issue and still nothing:confused:

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
Did you try a jump start? All of the things you listed only require a minimum of amperage compared to the draw of the starter motor

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Have you confirmed; that you have a full charge at the battery? Have you checked all the fuses and relays? Sometimes, the electrical portion of the starter switch will fail, causing a no start condition (starter motor will not spin). They are cheap and available at most auto parts stores; you could also have the starter bench tested as well.

More info; on the replacement of the ignition switch:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/59181-ignition-switch-replacement-diy.html

starting section of the service manual:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...switch_relay/component_information/locations/

Just check all the basics; before tearing things apart, keep it simple to start with!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Sounds like it's something electrical, starter, solenoid, fuse or relay. If the battery had voltage but no amperage you would at lest get a clicking, unless it was super dead and then you probably wouldn't have lights or windows working.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just this week I had the same problem. I was able to start with booster cables. I let the car sit for 6 hrs and tried again. No start. Booster cables didn't help. I pulled the battery (group 48 oem dealer 72aH) and charged it overnight on a Schumacher SC8000a charger. The charger said 100% charge when I removed it. I installed the batter and got a extremely slow turnover and then a series of clicks. I took the battery back out and put it on the charger. I was convinced it was my starter that was weak, since I have a tdi and the battery was only 2yrs1mo old. It was a dealer oem battery. I ordered a starter and a 109 relay from idparts.com. Meanwhile I got a Dayton 4Z581 100A battery load tester. I recharged the battery. After full charge, I let it rest for 2 hours. Then I used the load tester and had over 13A hooked up, when I applied the load for about 8 seconds it dropped to 8A. BAD BATTERY!!! I went out and bought and installed a 94R battery! That's a big battery and since I don't have a battery box, it fit perfectly!
Moral of the story: I misdiagnosed the starter as faulty. It was the battery! Vehicle Technology Auto part Car Engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you confirmed; that you have a full charge at the battery? Have you checked all the fuses and relays? Sometimes, the electrical portion of the starter switch will fail, causing a no start condition (starter motor will not spin). They are cheap and available at most auto parts stores; you could also have the starter bench tested as well.

More info; on the replacement of the ignition switch:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/59181-ignition-switch-replacement-diy.html

starting section of the service manual:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AZG) (2002) > Starting and Charging > Starting System > Clutch Switch Relay > Component Information > Locations

Just check all the basics; before tearing things apart, keep it simple to start with!
i have tried a new off the shelf battery and it does the same thing. ill have to pull the stater and see if its the issue. I am getting power from battery to starter which wire should I test while turning over to see if it getting power?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just this week I had the same problem. I was able to start with booster cables. I let the car sit for 6 hrs and tried again. No start. Booster cables didn't help. I pulled the battery (group 48 oem dealer 72aH) and charged it overnight on a Schumacher SC8000a charger. The charger said 100% charge when I removed it. I installed the batter and got a extremely slow turnover and then a series of clicks. I took the battery back out and put it on the charger. I was convinced it was my starter that was weak, since I have a tdi and the battery was only 2yrs1mo old. It was a dealer oem battery. I ordered a starter and a 109 relay from idparts.com. Meanwhile I got a Dayton 4Z581 100A battery load tester. I recharged the battery. After full charge, I let it rest for 2 hours. Then I used the load tester and had over 13A hooked up, when I applied the load for about 8 seconds it dropped to 8A. BAD BATTERY!!! I went out and bought and installed a 94R battery! That's a big battery and since I don't have a battery box, it fit perfectly!
Moral of the story: I misdiagnosed the starter as faulty. It was the battery! View attachment 178762
tried a brand new battery and have same issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you out 12v directly to the starter.
yes it got 12 volt to starter. if I touch test light on other parts of the starter rather then the direct battery to starter wire I have no power to them do I need to pull the clip looking plug and crank to test that one?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I mean starter directly to the battery. You can have 12V but low current. I would disconnect the battery and starter cables and use jumper cables straight to the starter and see if it tried to turn over. Be careful. You need a second person for safety. Won't hurt to try. Divide and conquer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean starter directly to the battery. You can have 12V but low current. I would disconnect the battery and starter cables and use jumper cables straight to the starter and see if it tried to turn over. Be careful. You need a second person for safety. Won't hurt to try. Divide and conquer.
checked voltage at battery 12.7 volts
checked voltage at starter only getting 7 volts from the ignition to the starter from the plastic clip prong. tried jumping the starter and nothing, so im leaning toward bad selonoid?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts