VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here in OKC. I'm picking up a 2003 2.0 auto for 350 bucks. Will run good but the owner got the starter replaced, shop told him he needs a driveplate but he didn't want to pay the extra money. So a week later it wouldn't turn over. I went and checked, starter engages and tried to turn the crank pulley in case it just was in a broken spot on the plate, completely turned it and starter still wouldn't catch except for the initial start where you would see the belt move 1/8in and then won't move after that. I assume driveplate and starter but is there anything else that might be damaged and where i can find a how to for both other than haynes or Chilton? No luck finding anything through search. Thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Welcome, to the .org; there could be a number of issues related to the starting system, causing you problems.
I would scan the car; for trouble codes and see what they are, preferrably with a vw compatible scan tool (look on amazon for a "vag scanner" or check out vcds by ross tech).

If you in fact; you believe it could be a physical damage issue; with the flex plate/starter gear or the starter itself. I would pull the starter; check for gear damage and have it tested at a auto parts store. For the flex plate, you can check all the teeth with the starter out by turning the crank bolt with a socket/rachet and see if all the teeth are ok.

There are many other possibilities; on a no start condition on these cars. failed starter switches, melted wiring harness at the switches, , wiring harness issues in the starter circuit... etc. etc. There are quite a few possibilities; things, need to be examined and start a step by step, troubleshooting process..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I can tell the starter gear is trying to catch the plate but it's grinding really bad and since the shop told the previous owner he needed a flexplate now or soon, it's that plus possibly the starter gear is possibly bad. From the time it left the shop with a new starter and would not want to turn over was a week and a half max so i can only assume those 2 things. What all is required to change out a flexplate? Any DIY arcticles around for this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts