NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, was very happy to find this forum. Lots of GREAT information and very nice people from what I have read so far. I just bought a 2002 New Beetle GLS 2.0 with Automatic transmission, 80k 1 owner miles. Everything was going great until yesterday (3 weeks later) the oil pressure light beeps and comes on, then goes off after a few minutes, and sometimes right away. When the oil pressure light comes on, so does the coolant light. The coolant light is a solid light blue. When the oil pressure light goes off, so does the coolant light. I know others have posted on here about this issue and I am going to start with an oil change and cleaning the oil pan and pickup tube.

2nd Issue, driving on the freeway at about 60mph and all of the sudden I had a sudden drop in rpms. Lasted for about 5 secs and then back to normal. Any ideas? Could this be related to a possible clogged oil pickup tube? Or does this sound like a transmission issue? I wasn't over accelerating when it happened, I was driving a steady 60mph.

I was also wanting to get some advice on oil, plugs, transmission service (should I, should I not) and timing belt water pump. Since I have no idea what kind of oil was used by previous owner, what do you guys recommend I use? Regarding transmission tuneup, there are so many mixed opinions on this matter that it leaves me a little confused. VW Service Manager told me not to do transmission tuneup because it would cause it to have issues. He said if its not having issues, don't mess with it. How do you guys feel about this?

Anyhow thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice and or opinions are highly appreciated. I will try and get some pics up soon. Still deciding what to name her as well. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
welcome

Welcome to newbeetle.org glad to have u. Sorry I can't be much help as I have a 5 speed manual and haven't had any of the issues you are having now. Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the site. The ORG is a wealth of great information. Someone will be along with some good help.

Have you checked for any codes? Not all problems throw a check engine light.

02SilverSport?Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello,

Issue 1)
Its been known for a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor to cause the symptoms that you are having where the Blue temp light and oil light come on at the same time. Replace the CTS and hopefully that should solve your problem. Cost is minimal about $15.00 for a good replacement.

Issue 2)
Unknown - Get the car scanned for codes, preferably with a Vag-Com if possible, if not then a standard ODB scanner is better than nothing. Keep notes / logs of your problems to see if they have a reoccurring pattern.

Timing Belt / Water Pump
Get this served as soon as possible unless you know and have documentation from the pervious owner that it was done. 5yrs / 100K miles is the limit, don't push it its not worth it.

I would look into getting the automatic transmission serviced, I would think that fresh fluid and filter would never hurt,the early autos were known to be problematic, but do more research.
I personally don't have any autos, all of ours are manuals.

VW approved oil, but the 2.0's are not as picky as the 1.8T
Bosch or NGK plugs

Just my .02 cents worth.

K

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hello,

Issue 1)
Its been known for a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor to cause the symptoms that you are having where the Blue temp light and oil light come on at the same time. Replace the CTS and hopefully that should solve your problem. Cost is minimal about $15.00 for a good replacement.

Issue 2)
Unknown - Get the car scanned for codes, preferably with a Vag-Com if possible, if not then a standard ODB scanner is better than nothing. Keep notes / logs of your problems to see if they have a reoccurring pattern.

Timing Belt / Water Pump
Get this served as soon as possible unless you know and have documentation from the pervious owner that it was done. 5yrs / 100K miles is the limit, don't push it its not worth it.

I would look into getting the automatic transmission serviced, I would think that fresh fluid and filter would never hurt,the early autos were known to be problematic, but do more research.
I personally don't have any autos, all of ours are manuals.

VW approved oil, but the 2.0's are not as picky as the 1.8T
Bosch or NGK plugs

Just my .02 cents worth.

K
What Krash said. The transmissions are a pain to service which is they probably said that. Volkswagen considered those "lifetime fluid" because it is a "sealed" transmission. I don't believe any fluid is lifetime. You very may well have problems after servicing, but it would be nice to know if there were metal shavings in the pan magnet which may indicate what is going on.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for a warm welcome and the advice. Will order the CTS tomorrow as well as the oil filter, oil, transmission filter and fluid. Going to have the TB/WP done in 2 weeks. I will let everyone know how it goes after the CTS replacement. Another thing I forgot to mention was that the oil dipstick had pieces of plastic falling off of it so I replaced it with a genuine one from the dealer. Maybe bits of plastic fell into the tube? Will know more when I do the oil change as we plan on dropping the pan and cleaning the pick up tube. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am happy to report I was able to get all of my maintenance done.

New MEYLE Transmission Filter & Pentosin ATF1 Fluid
Conitech Timing Belt, Water Pump & Tensioner
New MANN Fuel Filter
New AMSOIL 25k Oil Filter & European Formula Oil (25k Interval)
New Bosch Super Plus YTTRIUM FR7HPP33+ Spark Plugs x 4
New MEYLE Coolant Temp Sensor (059919501A)
New MEYLE Oil Pressure Switch (06A919081J)
Radiator Flush & Refill w/ Pentosin G12

Upon doing all the maintenance, I noticed a leak coming from an upper bolt (Banjo Bolt) on the Transmission Oil Cooler (096409061G) I was able to locate a part number for the Banjo Bolt (01M409066) The Banjo Bolt requires (2) O-Rings, 1 Upper (089409069) and 1 Lower (096409069A). I thought I would list these part #'s here in case someone else is ever looking for them.

The car is driving GREAT and any and all noises it was making were cured with the major tune-up and AMSOIL. Now she purrs like a kitten. The only problem I am still having is shaking when reaching speeds of 65mp t0 75mph. It is very annoying and only does it between the speeds I mentioned. I have high speed balanced all the tires, changed tires and had my tie rods replaced. Any ideas before I shell out cash on changing all the struts and shocks?

I am open to suggestions and advice. The Bug has (4) Chrome rims which I am not to thrilled about. Personally I would prefer the stock rims. Could the rims be the culprit? As I said it only shakes at 65-75 and the shake is felt primarily in the steering wheel. Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I had the same problem when I changed my wheels. Our NB's have hub essentric wheels. If you don't have the plastic adapters between the rim and hub, it will viborate at highway speeds. Mine did, until I realized they forgot them, bought a set, and it went away. I think they were $15/set at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice :) Can you provide any other details on the adapters so I know exactly what to look for? I think I will try that before I do anything else. I am hoping it will do the trick :) Thanks very much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts