VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New member here from Northeast Florida. I just bought a 2000 TDI New Beetle. It needs a bit of work, but is a solid car. We have a 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI, so not new to Volkswagens. Our daughter has a 2001 Golf TDI, so we now pretty much have the range covered!

This Beetle needs some suspension work, along with a few repairs and some general TLC. I may be asking questions along the way as I can see it in some ways is quite a bit different to a Golf or Jetta. :)

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Welcome!

Another TDI Beetle owner in Jacksonville!

Excellent!

You may not realize it yet, but you are in a local hotbed of Beetle fanatics! Our regional club, DuvalDubs has monthly breakfasts and we travel to all sorts of local and long distance events planned.

Next month's B4B (Bugs for Breakfast) is listed in the travel section of the forums under the Southeast Header.

We are meeting at the Oasis restaurant in St. Augustine for breakfast. There is also the huge TOD drive and GTG in North Carolina the beginning of May.

You will no doubt meet and hear from a lot of Florida folks pretty soon. Don't worry, We are a great bunch of folks who are just crazy about our little round cars.

Again,

Great to have you aboard! Feel free to post any questions or suggestions you might have!

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Another TDI Beetle owner in Jacksonville!

Excellent!

You may not realize it yet, but you are in a local hotbed of Beetle fanatics! Our regional club, DuvalDubs has monthly breakfasts and we travel to all sorts of local and long distance events planned.

Next month's B4B (Bugs for Breakfast) is listed in the travel section of the forums under the Southeast Header.

We are meeting at the Oasis restaurant in St. Augustine for breakfast. There is also the huge TOD drive and GTG in North Carolina the beginning of May.

You will no doubt meet and hear from a lot of Florida folks pretty soon. Don't worry, We are a great bunch of folks who are just crazy about our little round cars.

Again,

Great to have you aboard! Feel free to post any questions or suggestions you might have!

Chuckie
Another reason I wished I lived in Florida! Nice Beetle, BTW. I have a white 2010. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Struts/Shocks/Springs/Bushings and changed to some Key West wheels. Slowly, but it's getting there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little more done this weekend. Replaced one torn CV joint boot, serpentine belt tensioner & idler, repaired drivers window mechanism and a couple of broken wires in the door harness, got the windows working, new door latch and a Euro light switch (no more DRLs!). Oil and all filters changed. Still have a few more things to go, but getting closer! I do like driving it with the suspension redone and the 16" wheels.:)

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Love it!

I can't wait to see your Bug! You really need to come to B4B in St Augustine this Saturday and show that sweet ride off!

Chuckie

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't wait to see your Bug! You really need to come to B4B in St Augustine this Saturday and show that sweet ride off!

Chuckie
I'd like to but still have a few things to do. I'll get to one soon!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This weekend I repaired the blend doors in the heater box. While I had the interior apart, I went ahead and replaced the parts that the previous owner had painted white.

The previous owner had painted some of the interior pieces white, but never really liked it.

So while the interior was out getting the blend doors repaired...

I replaced them with original pieces.

I guess he was too busy painting interior parts to change the pollen filter!

Still more to do, but slowly getting closer!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Couple of small things - Got the code for the radio, so it works now. Also replaced the light bulb for the heater controls and got the keyless entry working. Lots more work tomorrow!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another long weekend, but getting much closer to having a sorted TDI Beetle! It had been making a loud noise from the gearbox/clutch area. Several people said it was the “normal” clutch rattle, but I didn't think so. In any event, we removed the transmission to see what was going on. Turns out it was a bad bearing in the transmission; I'm guessing the input shaft bearing? The clutch actually looked OK, but I had bought a new Luk clutch kit so that went in. Also found the rear main seal was leaking, so sourced and installed a new seal. I had a used transmission so that went in in place of the old gearbox. While everything was apart I changed the left inner CV boot as it looked bad. At some time someone cut down the shift lever to install an aftermarket shift knob, so I changed out the shifter and also changed to the later style cable ends and installed an Audi TT “short shifter”. Once the transmission and related parts were back in I changed the air conditioner compressor, expansion valve & dryer and charged up the AC. Replaced the hood lift strut. The engine cover was missing, so I found a good used one, installed the brackets and cover. Finally I replaced the clear rear side marker lights with the proper red ones.

Quite a bit of work, but now there is no transmission noise! It shifts great and the clutch is super smooth. I get cold or warm air from the proper vent. There are a few things left to do, but I think all the hard mechanical stuff is done (I hope anyway!). It drives much better than when I bought it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another long weekend of work, but I think it is finally reliable and comfortable.

For some reason, a previous owner had removed the tunnel heat shields. I'm sure there is a good reason to do this, but it escapes me at the present. In any event, replacement heat shields have been installed. Also the vacuum reservoir had been removed, so I installed another.

I think it was time to replace the front speakers! I did, but I found the rears had already been replaced, with the exact ones I used in the doors!

I removed the aftermarket clear front marker lights and installed stock ones and replaced the right taillight (the bulb was held in with duct tape!)

Inside I installed a new late style console & armrest, replaced the driver side dash panel,repaired the passenger window switch, replaced the steering wheel with a very nice used one, and replaced the hatch lift struts.

I installed a new hood insulation pad

Finally I installed new front & rear badges.
I wouldn't say its done, but it is close. Still a few more things to do but I think all the major work is done. Now to enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts