NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I'm a new member but have been using this site for a while now to try and learn as much as possible about my favorite car! Like all of you I am a beetle fanatic! My first car was a red 1999 bug when I was 17 (3 years ago). Bought it at 122k and with the help of my mechanic father it lasted 180k even with a faulty transmission. It would've lasted even longer but unfortunately I totaled it in December (with no collision insurance) due to icy roads and a tree that hopped out in front of me :( to say the least I was devastated

Anyways, after years of dreaming I finally bought my dream beetle :) a 2006 NBC in Aquarius blue. My old beetle was kind of sloppy and we didn't put much extra work into it because it wasn't worth much, but my new NBC only has 15,000 miles on it (it was her summer car, kept in garage).

I'm so in love with these cars and this is my first car I'm paying for on my own, so i'm pretty neurotic when it comes to having it drive and look its best for as long as possible. I was wondering if you could all give me some things I should think of replacing for it to last the longest? i saw threads about the waterpump and timing belt, was wondering if it is too early to replace those at 15k? and possibly some modifications as well. I am looking into skid plates because I live in Massachusetts and with our winters and roads, I'm bound to ruin the underbody. Any kind of tips and advice are welcome!! Thanks :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! For starters, you have a 2.5L engine and they don't have a timing belt, but a chain, which require less maintenance. Not sure if the tensioners and guides should be checked though.

I would get an oil change to start with though. With that few of miles in 7 years, I doubt the oil was changed enough. Maybe even spark plugs too?

I'd also drive the car a lot! Yes, its got low mileage but sometimes not driving a car can do more harm than driving one a lot. At 15k, the engine is barely broken in (and hopefully it was broken in properly!). This thing is just asking to be driven!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi welcome!
I also have a 2006.... Dark blue convert
Bought a year ago!:) love her!! First beetle! so far the only thing I have changed is oil and needed a new battery! We just hit the 70000 m marker! And what I've been told is to change the transmission oil every 50000.. We haven't had the time to sit and wait! But you have a ways to go!! Have fun with your new car!! I'm originally from ma! Watertown and the cape! Now in FL!!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm in MA too, yay for MA Beetles! My silver '02 I bought a year ago is my first car ever (it was a 30th birthday present to myself). I grew up in Somerville and now live in Brighton so I never *needed* a car, but I've wanted a Bug since my aunt had an old yellow one in the early 80s when I was little.

I got mine with only 50,000 miles on it at ten years old, which was pretty great. The other '01-'03 Beetles I looked at were all over 70k. I'm so happy you were able to buy your dream Beetle! My dream Bug is Cyber Green, and maybe an '08-'10 model year. If they made a Cyber Green in the brand-new models, I'm not sure if I'd go for one... the lack of circular tail lights weirds me out on the new ones. :D But maybe by the time I'm needing a second car, the prices on the later-model New Beetles will have dropped into my price range. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts