NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHi, so i bought a 1999 beetle..it has the 2.0 in it. I purchased it with a few issues. Lol
The people thought it was the head gasket...i got it for $600,for my daughters 1st car.
So the list of issues. They had to jump start it , but it ran. Someone also tried steal the convertor it was laying on the ground. So, I knew it needed a convertor, battery, and head gasket.

Head gasket- solved. It was the thermostat housing cracked.
Ordered and replaced..
Battery- i put in it.

Problem!! So I replaced housing put water in, thought I got a heck of a deal....
Wrong tator... I used a jump box to start it and it would just crank.. remember, it ran when I got it towed.
So, then I got a battery that would fit...still just cranks. I checked all fuses, all good.
Well, I kinda think that the old junk battery, being totally dead for a few days erased the ecm. Tried to get into the ecm with 2 different scan .., it won't communicate... so, I thought the battery in key fob may be low. Changed those and now it won't open doors, when its in the ignition alarm goes off.

Man, I love this car.....but, the thing is driving me nuts!!

Please help a dude out!! Thanks in advance for any help!

Don

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

How many miles on the NB? Do you know if the timing belt was ever replaced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
174000,.yes, the belt has been changed and will be due shortly. The car ran when i got it, the people jumped it. I had it towed. A week later i fix, the thermostat housing..and no start. I tried to computers.they said it was not able to connect. So , i think the ecm needs to be reset. But , i think the anti-theft has it shut down. Due to me taking my sweet time putting batteries in. All fuses r good. Any ideas?

Don.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts