VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 VW New Beetle Convertible
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so A few months ago I bought a 2006 new beetle convertible, At first glance it looked amazing only has 44,000 miles but let me tell you as soon as I got it home the problems began. the engine runs great, transmission is great, it’s a bunch of little stuff like The person that owned it before me Had a whole bunch of custom stuff in it and I’m assuming stereo equipment because when they went to take all the stuff out they just ripped door panels off, both were just hanging by a thread, all the clips were broke, then the painted top interior panel cracked, also I think my car may be possessed because as I type this I’m sitting in my car keys are not in the ignition driver side window keeps trying to go up and down up and down, what gives?? And one of my main questions that I have I know I’m babbling but I really need some help figuring out if my convertible top is repairable or should I replace it as the rear glass is coming out and My husband try to fix it with some wet cement or something I’m not sure what he used But he was wondering what can we use to get the old adhesive off the glass and what should he use to re glue the glass if it’s repairable and I need step by step instructions ( with pictures would be amazing please but I understand if that’s not possible) And one last thing for now is the driver side window is off track. Any kind of advice would be amazing if anybody has any parts they want to sell like door panels I have the salsa red color doorhandles possibly a new convertible top or used convertible top please let me know. Thank you guys you’re reading my rant and I’m so happy that there is a forum like this. By the way I’m not a new New Beetle owner This is my third one second convertible.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
After 15 years, a vw and a convertible, will need repairs to get it back in good shape and daily driver status.

The rear glass, can sometimes be glued back in; many times, the upholstery will shrink and this leaves gaps around the glass. Some auto upholstery shops; stitch in more material, to fill the gaps and glue everything back together. You might call around and see if they can help; search this site,and check youtube videos, for back glass regluing ideas.

Eventually, all convertible tops; will need to be replaced, that is up to you and how far gone it is. 15 years, is probably; close, to the end of its lifespan. If it rains allot in your area; water ingress, will eventually ruin the car and it maybe time, for a new top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Damaged and brittle door panels are common; repairing them, is possible, finding a good used set if door panels, could be a possibility or some have reproduced them out if fiberglass, which look somewhat similar to stock.

VW still makes the parts, that mKe up the door panel; so, you could replace, the broken parts or cannibalize, another broken set snd come out with a pair of complete ones by swapping out broken parts with new or used good ones.

New vw top caps; need to paint to match:The bottom portion is available but expensive.

gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609ReR3b-0BG6K-Zqdjvuio2PEgYfstqDYV-0w7jYj5eS2Rc9tbm7toO8xoCJxkQAvD_BwE

Reproduction panels out of fiberglass:

:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 15 years, a vw and a convertible, will need repairs to get it back in good shape and daily driver status.

The rear glass, can sometimes be glued back in; many times, the upholstery will shrink and this leaves gaps around the glass. Some auto upholstery shops; stitch in more material, to fill the gaps and glue everything back together. You might call around and see if they can help; search this site,and check youtube videos, for back glass regluing ideas.

Eventually, all convertible tops; will need to be replaced, that is up to you and how far gone it is. 15 years, is probably; close, to the end of its lifespan. If it rains allot in your area; water ingress, will eventually ruin the car and it maybe time, for a new top.
What xa

What can we use to get the old glue off the window and fabric without discoloration or loss of integrity to the top? The top was actually replaced fairly recently, not exactly sure when but the top it self is and immaculate condition other the back window issue. My other question that I haven’t seen a response to yet was the issue of the possessed window that will go up and down and up and down about half an inch, it happens and completely random times sometimes when the door is open or closed and when the key is in or out. No rhyme or reason that I can make any sense of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damaged and brittle door panels are common; repairing them, is possible, finding a good used set if door panels, could be a possibility or some have reproduced them out if fiberglass, which look somewhat similar to stock.

VW still makes the parts, that mKe up the door panel; so, you could replace, the broken parts or cannibalize, another broken set snd come out with a pair of complete ones by swapping out broken parts with new or used good ones.

New vw top caps; need to paint to match:The bottom portion is available but expensive.

gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609ReR3b-0BG6K-Zqdjvuio2PEgYfstqDYV-0w7jYj5eS2Rc9tbm7toO8xoCJxkQAvD_BwE

Reproduction panels out of fiberglass:

:

Also the drivers side front window is off track, could that have something to do with the possessed windows?

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
You typically, need a window regulator repair kit; when the window goes off tack, the window regulator wraps the cables around things, damaging the regulator assembly. Definitely, stick with genuine vw window regulator parts; the most durable and long term cost effective solution. The last one i did; the repair kit was a bit over $100, per aide.

Contact your local vw dealer with your vin # and they can order, what you need, the correct parts for your particular vehicle.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
The window going up and down; maybe, a window regulator issue, grounding out switch or failed door lock module. First, i would install a new regulator repair kit, do the reset procedure and that may fix the issue; as the comfort control module, maybe confused, as the window is off track.

If you still have problems, post window regulator repair kit install: a vw specific scan tool (like vcds by ross tech); may be able to read any trouble codes, related to electrical problems and help pinpoint window related issues, you still have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don’t forget to seal below the wipers as well rainwater can seep into the interiors through small cracks. I don’t hose wash as well as that can make the rubber weaker

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
322 Posts
Your top needs replacement. Tops last around 10 years of looked after. You will not be able to repair that rear window no matter what people tell you. No glue will work. It will leak and you car will fill up with water. Tops are around 2k fitted. Unfortunately you have to pay to play with a new beetle of this age. They are not cheep cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What can we use to get the old glue off the window and fabric without discoloration or loss of integrity to the top? The top was actually replaced fairly recently, not exactly sure when but the top it self is and immaculate condition other the back window issue. My other question that I haven’t seen a response to yet was the issue of the possessed window that will go up and down and up and down about half an inch, it happens and completely random times sometimes when the door is open or closed and when the key is in or out. No rhyme or reason that I can make any sense of.
Hi
My 2004 NB convertible window does the same thing on the drivers side. If the door isn't closed completely

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
My 2004 NB convertible window does the same thing on the drivers side. It does it while I am driving, Do you also have the belt sound going on and off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That convertible top looks new. The previous owner probably picked up a cheap ebay special and now the glue came undone. You should consider replacing it with a quality top.

the window is supposed to roll down a bit when you unlock it or open the door to prevent it from hitting the convertible top. If it doesn’t do that, then you are looking at a faulty door latch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The faulty door latch is also why your window keeps rolling rolling up and down about a half inch. I had to replace both on my wife’s car because they were doing exactly what you describe.
I’d be interested in knowing what brand of convertible top your car has now if you end up replacing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts