NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was all set to look for a Smart car(gas) & heard too much about instability on the hwy etc. I am a diesel person with Dodge Cummins,Isuzu Pup 2.2,VW Rabbit. I stumbled on to the Beetle diesel & this looks like a great car. I will buy the stick shift & an earlier one as Im not rich. Are the 98 & 99 better/worse? I can probably only go up to 2004. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
The VW TDI has a large following; two sites, are great for learning and discussing the TDI VW's, including the New Beetle. www.myturbodiesel.com and Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community

You might start in the faq and other areas, setup to help those looking to buy one.

Note: the New Beetle; falls into the "Mark IV" area of Volkswagens (e.g. Golfs, Jettas, are same platform with different bodies).

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/mk4-vw-jetta-tdi-1999-5-2005-golf-new-beetle-1998-2006-buying-guide/

faq:

https://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-2.html#a

new beetle tdi forums:

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) - TDIClub Forums

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/forums/vw-mk4-jetta-golf-new-beetle-passat-tdi-forum.5/

our site is great but for down, dirty tdi specific info; the two above sites are great. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
The 1.9 diesel engine from 98-06 Beetle and 99.5-06 Golf and Jetta in both the alh and BEW engine, coupled with the 5spd manual transmission is in my opinion a great car. Whether it’s the Beetle ,Golf or Jetta they are all capable of getting from the mid 40’s to mid 50’s mpg. Stay away from the automatic transmissions from those years they on the other hand were junk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1.9 diesel engine from 98-06 Beetle and 99.5-06 Golf and Jetta in both the alh and BEW engine, coupled with the 5spd manual transmission is in my opinion a great car. Whether it’s the Beetle ,Golf or Jetta they are all capable of getting from the mid 40’s to mid 50’s mpg. Stay away from the automatic transmissions from those years they on the other hand were junk.
Yes, thanks. I'm going to get the stick shift and 98 to 03. I don't need any more than 89hp. These supposedly get the best mileage. They turned the mighty Cummins into an anemic gas engine with the nox farce. I assume VW was the same. A person could probably have the pump remapped to put some lead back in? Retarded timing really screws up a diesel. Why was the Canadian TDI rated 60mpg on the hwy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the Pumpe Duse engine ok? Or am I better off with the VE models? I can rebuild VE injectors cheap, not so with the PD.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine is an 05 PD (BEW) engine. During the summer months I occasionally hit 55mpg with 52-53 being normal. PD injectors are definitely different and much more expensive, there is a whole different set up with injectors between the two engines.

However injectors rarely give issues on either engine. The VE is easier and cheaper to work on but I wouldn’t be afraid of either engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jarhead, Thats great to know. I would run Stanadyne Performance Plus which will lube the fuel system some. The manual transmission ones are getting as scarce as hens teeth.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I neglected to mention the most serious issue with the PD engines is the cam. Using the correct oil helps but does not guarantee that your cam will survive. I had to replace mine, it’s really not a bad job if you can do a timing belt you can do a cam. A lot of guys will replace their cam when they do their belt as you must take the belt off to remove the cam.

Lots of how to’s and help on tdiclub.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a 2003 Jetta GLS manual. 295,000 miles & runs like new. A Beetle was twice the price of a Jetta around here. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
milburg66
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing