NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Well I knew it was comming and now we have it. An All American oil for our PDs. Amsoil Euro car formula 5W40 oil is now VW 5005.01 certified. It also less than the Castrol and Motul. Retail is 6.85 a QT and I'll sell it to fourm members for dealer cost plus shipping. E-mail [email protected] details.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Can you give us a link to the VW certification letter?
If this is true, it is indeed good news! But, until I see the Offical VW letter, I'll pass. I looked on the German VW site and found many letters of Certification for other oils, but not one for Amsoil. It may just take them a while to post it too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amsoil and the PD

Has anyone on this fourm opened up and read there owners manual? I read mine for the second time from cover to cover and the only thing I could find was VW's statement about the 505.01 oil and the fact that if you don't run oil that meets this speck that your engine will fail and VW may not be liable to warranty your failure. Since it illegal in the US to advertise that you meet a specification and print it on your product if you don't your covered if you run AMSOIL. IF VW gives you a hard time get the failed parts and 4 to 6 oz of the oil and file a clame with them. They makes sue you get your moeny and they'll get it back from VW on oyur behalf.

I also called the dealer today to ask them about buying oil while on the road and both my service writer and the parts department stated as long as the bottle has the VW 505.01 cert on the lable your good to go. I also asked about the price of oil and it down to 6.20 a QT from 9.99 3 weeks ago.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with Hannaco. If VW hasn't certified it then it doesn't go into my TDI. Period.

Amsoil stating that their oil meets 505.01 specification and VW stating that Amsoil oil meets 505.01 specification are two completely different things.

Have you ever tried to get a huge international corporation to cough it up? Not for nothing but it's not as easy as you make it out to be.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
*mod post*

Until I see a letter of certification from VWAG inc., I am NOT reccomending anyone use this oil in their 2004-up PD-TDI New Beetle. You are your own warranty if you do so. Meeting spec and having the letter are 2 entirely different things.
I am aware of the laws regarding this matter, however, for the good of the public, I have to go forward with NOT reccomending this oil as of now.

-Justin

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
VW can void the warranty for using the wrong oil. That does not mean that the motor has failed at that point. It may indeed run without problems for many years.
But, more than the motor is covered by the warranty. One must ask these questions. Will Amsoil cover items not covered in oil? Things like the seats, or the electronics? I think not.
Once the car is out of warranty, then you can consider using Amsoil in the motor, or any other oil that you feel is good enough for the motor.
This is not a knock against Amsoil, as they make very fine products. This is to protect the warranty. VW and other car makers have become very aggressive lately in voiding warranties. Why give them any hint of a reason to void yours?

·
Registered
77 Posts
MAd-Matt

You tried to do this on the TDIclub site also. Looks like you are getting the same responses here also.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
*mod post #2*

1 more snide comment from anyone and I lock this.

The fact of the matter states this: Matt's announced there's a new oil that's PD-compatible...yet VW hasn't approved it. We're leaving it at that, and if anyone has any info to prove VW approves this oil, great. If not, leave it be.

I won't have people bashing any member of this community, whether justified or not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Cheat said:
*mod post #2*

1 more snide comment from anyone and I lock this.

The fact of the matter states this: Matt's announced there's a new oil that's PD-compatible...yet VW hasn't approved it. We're leaving it at that, and if anyone has any info to prove VW approves this oil, great. If not, leave it be.

I won't have people bashing any member of this community, whether justified or not.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I hope you are not refering to me...

I only said that Matt had posted on TDIclub about his findings and right away it was like blood in the water. He got replies that pretty much echoed the replies he got here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Cheat said:
Not referring to anyone in particular...just what I'm seeing thus far.

Sure seemed like it was aimed at me, the last post before mine was almost a week ago. Then I post and about half an hour later you come in with your comment about snide remarks.

Added 2-7-06 20:36

Cheat - Thanks for the PM'ing info. Didn't know about that.:D :D :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm sure it was directed at me. I did not phrase my reply directly at him and my reply was based on numerous posts on numerous DB by Amsoil distributors. This includes TDI Forums, Powerstroke Forums and dirt bike Forums. It seems every oil thread on the internet has some reply by some Amsoil distributor or was started initially by one. I find it odd I rarely see anyone representing any other oil manufacturer in any of these threads yet Amsoil, which is a relatively small company is well represented in most all of these threads.
Just posting my experiences with this and I stand by my initial response. They ARE the telemarketers of the internet.

They do make good products as I used their 2-stroke oil for years with no problems. But..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amsoil

:) Yep I got flamed and learned that OIL is like religion to a VW owner. :confused: I'm not trying to push anything or as my wife said I would look to make profits selling AMSOIL. For the recors I've used AMSOIL products in everything I own for over 5 years and it a good product and served me well. I've never said the other oils weren’t also good just that other options are becoming available here in the US. Just for the record there are some VW dealers in the North East that sell AMSOIL to there customers because after the Manufactures warranty expires they have the additional AMSOIL warranty to cover their customers if there is an oil related engine component failure. So far I’m not impresses with the 505.01 oil and it tendency for vaporization or blow-by in my PD. I lost .25L of the Castrol in 1.5K. That’s a bunch of oil going somewhere (Intercooler) and after reading about all of the CCV and oil in the charge tube issues in the newer PDs I’d venture to bet 505.01 is prone to vaporization in the TDI. Only time will tell me if I'm correct. I like Amsoil and it will end up in my PD. I'm sure you'll do something similar after your Warranty expires also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
DR.billZ said:
I'm sure it was directed at me. I did not phrase my reply directly at him and my reply was based on numerous posts on numerous DB by Amsoil distributors. This includes TDI Forums, Powerstroke Forums and dirt bike Forums. It seems every oil thread on the internet has some reply by some Amsoil distributor or was started initially by one. I find it odd I rarely see anyone representing any other oil manufacturer in any of these threads yet Amsoil, which is a relatively small company is well represented in most all of these threads.
Just posting my experiences with this and I stand by my initial response. They ARE the telemarketers of the internet.

They do make good products as I used their 2-stroke oil for years with no problems. But..........
or could it be that many people use Amsoil and have found it to be a very good product?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts