NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, ORGERS, got a question. I have been having ongoing problems, on again off again. The drivers door doesn't want to alarm/dis-alarm half the time. The remote doesn't work AT ALL, and using the key to open it manually it only works occasionally. Mechanic can't look at the car til next week, but says it sounds like the door lock module. After reading the threads on here about this problem til I am blue in the face I tend to agree with him. Now, what I want to know is has anyone on here purchased a used working part from a salvage yard and have any knowledge to impart regarding how much I can trust a used part or would it be in my best interest to pay the big $$ for a brand new one from the stealership. I have found a couple foreign car parts stores offering the new part for about $30 less. But by the time I pay shipping and handling we're doing to $20 bucks saving. That's with one week turn around to get to the West Coast. If I go with expedited shipping, now you're probably talking a $10 saving. Hmm....What say you guys? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Personally, I would never do most used electronic parts, especially those with common reliability issues. This being one. Keep in mind, few sellers take returns on electronic parts, the advantage to using a dealer service dept is that if that is not the problem [known as the trial and error method (lol)] your not out the price of the part.

As to buying on the web, there are many OEM Resellers and VW Dealer Parts Depts selling online, typically deeply discounted. You will find as much as a 50% discrepency from seller to seller in pricing. I would shop a large handful of online sellers before concluding there was little savings over your local Dealer.The shipping is typically offset by the sales tax you don't pay. You can also use online pricing to negotiate with your local Dealer Parts Dept, or simply ask for jobber pricing which will usually garner you a discount of about 25%. Of course there are exceptions to everything.

I can put up or p/m you a resource list of more than a dozen websites if you'd like. I typically check most of them before buying/ordering a part. Most resellers ship immediately and in such as fashion that delivery is timely. You've put off getting it fixed this long, what's another week?

MORAV

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx MORAV. I did check a few of the places most ORGERS mention for parts. Only one had the part I needed for some reason. One sent me to the dealer! I did speak over the phone to someone at GermanAutoParts.com. They are the ones in New York who quoted me $174.28 with about $10 shipping. The Dealer wants $208.32. I thought about what you said about buying used electronic parts. That did occur to me, in fact. That's why I wanted to know if anyone else had purchased a used part like i need and if it was any good. Likely best to spend the extra $$ and be safe, as you say. If you've got some other resources I would love to check them. Send me a personal message or post them. That would be great. And, thanx again. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts