NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Beetle family. Purchased my 1st yesterday which is a 03 Turbo S. The issue or main one right now.....Crank no start. I believe it's not getting fuel.
I've been trying to figure out what best manual to get first. Any suggestions!!

thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,749 Posts
All I know is this. Bentley manual is what our Beetle friends use.

I hope you can figure out why it's not starting. The 6-speed Turbo S is so much fun to drive, it should be illegal!

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the car has been sitting for a long time.....like over a year!!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Stat with the basics: fuel,spark and compression. If you have a scan tool; check for any trouble codes and also, keep an eye out for the immobilizer blinking light, indicating it is kicking on, killing the ignition, if the engine starts for a moment and then dies, that is a classic immo issue.

Bentley, are the factory published vw service manuals; meanwhile, here are some links to free vw service manuals online:

Fuel pressure testing:

Compression testing:

Spark: You can use. inline spark tester or pull a coil, spark plug; hook both together and ground the spark plug on the engine. Have a helper turn the engine over and you should see, if there is a spark at the spark plug electrode.

If all the checks are ok; the gas in the tank maybe old and current gasoline/ethanol blends tend to lose their ability, to ignite as easily as, normal. To check this, you could remove some and put some on a concrete surface and try to ignite it (say with a lighter or matches), if it doesn't burn as expected, the fuel has probably has spoiled with limited combustion capability (causing a no or hard start condition). You may need to siphon the bad gas out of the tank, check for any debris or water contamination in the bottom, wipe out any junk you find and refill with fresh premium fuel. I found it easiest to pull the fuel pump; to access the fuel and siphon it all out, I bought a cheap bulb/hose style siphon tool, which worked fine.

Let us know, the results of your testing, troubleshooting and we can go from there, Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well put a decent battety in it and got it started. Heard a loud knocking sound tried ti pinpoint location but car died. It appeared to be coming from cylinder head??? IDK .... going to do all the other test. Car may have been sitting for "years".

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Check the oil dipstick; top off if low. When sitting for a long time, oil will drain out of the head, the lifters and cam chain tensioner can take some time to pump up and lifter knocking may go away, assuming that is the knocking noise.

·
Super Moderator
14,749 Posts
TC69, where do you live?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
Did you put fresh gas in it? Do you know why it was parked?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was guy's sister car she moved away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Did you get it running again? When it was stored; was there a known engine problem? I would check the timing belt; see if it is in good shape and if it still has adequate tightness, from the hydraluic tensioner. Timing belt issues; are probably the #1 reason, 1.8T VW's break down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok......changed oil just cause. Did compression test 128,130,129,110
Seems might be rod knock? I'll attach a short video. I rolled the dice buying it might have missed on this one.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Hmm, that is pretty LOUD! You might get a screwdriver and push it on various areas, of the engine. Then, put the handle on your ear and see if you can get a sense of where the sound is originating from. Listening to it, kinda sounds maybe from the top of the engine? I guess, you could pop the valve cover off (check lifters/chain tensioner, etc.) or remove the pan (check bearings for looseness; wear or damage); to inspect for damage? You might also, do a oil pressure test and see, if it is in spec. This would give you a sense of the health of the engine without tearing things apart; just another possible check to do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, sounds like top of engine. I'll take valve cover off this week.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I put a new head on a 1.8T for a Audi TT; I used assembly lube but the lifters, were loud for awhile but quieted down, as they got oil in them, pumped up. It maybe possible, a lifter is clogged up, a oil additive might unclog/free things up; it is hard to tell from a video but something maybe damaged as well, hard to say? I think a oil pressure test; would be a good thing to confirm, before tearing things apart and so, that could be a indication of oil starvation in the head (bad pump, clogged pickup tube, sludge is a common problem on the 1.8T when they get high miles).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trying get game plan going. Thinking of either dropping pan or pulling valve cover off. The car has 100k on it and several service records. Timing belt replaced at 89k

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, took valve cover off started it up.....sounds like rod knock for sure. I was getting oil coming up. So.....got $700 in it....is it worth fixing? Car needs windshield and pass mirror as far as body goes. The interior is good.
Let me know thoughts.........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts