NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Well, imho, as a long time biased Turbo S owner; the Turbo S is the THE one, to own if you want a really fun, fast and performance oriented New Beetle.

Repair costs and the rest of the cars condition; could factor in to the whole project. How is the rest of the cars: cosmetics, suspension, clutch, interior, tires, etc. These cars are to the point; where used parts are pretty affordable, cost would be labor and engine rebuilding, possible new turbo, machine work, engine parts, etc, etc. would you do the work yourself? How much is a similar year turbo s selling for in your area; that is in good shape and running well? If the work is done by a shop; repair costs probably would be higher then the cost of another one in good shape but if diy labor, calculate the worst case scenario, on estimated repair parts needed?

Repair costs can add up: if you enjoy working on cars, it would be a labor of love and financial concerns would probably not be the main reason to fix things, this would be something of a restoration of sorts, satisfying in the idea of "saving" a turbo s, when so many are ending up in the junk yard? This could be a opportunity to do a nice performance engine build; if you are into that sort of thing. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
14,749 Posts
Yes, it's worth it! Take care of this poor, neglected Turbo S. It needs you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm going to consider it a project. Its in really good shape and who doesn't need another project.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
23 Posts
Yea man! Let us know how it goes! If you only got $700 into it, and you are fairly comfortable pulling the motor to work on it, i'd say its totally worth saving! Unless the block is cracked - rods, bearings, pistons, cranks can all be replaced!

·
Registered
702 Posts
It could be a multitude of things all bad, however my fist car I parked in my dads barn when I did a year in Japan, I came home fired it up and it scared me I thought, what happened, it was loud and I thought probably going to die. I drove it downtown to an old mechanic. He asked me a few questions after listening to it for a minute or so. Upon finding out it had been sitting for an entire year he said drive it, take it easy but drive it, I did and the noise went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stat with the basics: fuel,spark and compression. If you have a scan tool; check for any trouble codes and also, keep an eye out for the immobilizer blinking light, indicating it is kicking on, killing the ignition, if the engine starts for a moment and then dies, that is a classic immo issue.

Bentley, are the factory published vw service manuals; meanwhile, here are some links to free vw service manuals online:

Fuel pressure testing:

Compression testing:

Spark: You can use. inline spark tester or pull a coil, spark plug; hook both together and ground the spark plug on the engine. Have a helper turn the engine over and you should see, if there is a spark at the spark plug electrode.

If all the checks are ok; the gas in the tank maybe old and current gasoline/ethanol blends tend to lose their ability, to ignite as easily as, normal. To check this, you could remove some and put some on a concrete surface and try to ignite it (say with a lighter or matches), if it doesn't burn as expected, the fuel has probably has spoiled with limited combustion capability (causing a no or hard start condition). You may need to siphon the bad gas out of the tank, check for any debris or water contamination in the bottom, wipe out any junk you find and refill with fresh premium fuel. I found it easiest to pull the fuel pump; to access the fuel and siphon it all out, I bought a cheap bulb/hose style siphon tool, which worked fine.

Let us know, the results of your testing, troubleshooting and we can go from there, Thanks.

Thanks for the info! I just bout a 2003 Turbo S two weeks ago and am downloading the manual now. :) Tom Paine

·
Above average
521 Posts
Every Beetle is it worth to save, especially a Turbo S ! Only 2 years production and 6 speed make something special of it- Go and rescue it !

21 - 28 of 28 Posts