NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2001 GLX. It only came with one key. The has no buttons on it. It locks and unlocks the doors and starts the car up. What am I missing? What is the most cost effective way to get a spare keys. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Post a picture of your one key.

You may have a Valet key?? See if you can open the trunk with it.

Or you may have a locksmith replacement key that was made for the car.

Keys for these cars can be a PITA. You likely will need to get a replacement from the dealer, they will come precut and they are usually 3 separate part numbers for the entire key as I recall?

The immobilizer and programming is where you are likely to have issues? There is a split on the immobilizer and key type somewhere around 2000/2001 where some of the design as changed. Also getting the passcode to program the new key can be tricky, again likely dealer only.

Expect to pay about $300-$350 for a key and programming when all is said and done?

I am sure others will chime in and correct any info I may have wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures of my Key

Here are couple pictures of my one and only key. Thanks for you quick response. I wish there was a way to avoid having to pay inflated dealer prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I bought a key off ebay, it was brand new and it worked. I think it was somewhere around $50 for all three pieces.
But beware,because when I took it to my locksmith he told me that many of these inexpensive keys that come from the Internet cannot be cut by him,because they use a different type of metal. He checked it with a magnet and said mine was okay that I got lucky on the deal. He made a test cut on one of those Valet keys, then cut my new key blank and it works fine. I think he charged me $20 to cut my new key blank, and he was going to throw away the valet key that was used as a tester, so I think I gave him $10 for it! If you take it to a good locksmith, he will know how to program the alarm and everything for you too. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
This place you can buy the key and have it cut: sidewinderkey.com

They can't program the immobilizer for you though so you'll need to go to the dealer or get VAG-TACHO and VAG-COM to do it yourself (unless you already have VAG-COM, its cheaper to just go to the dealer). We ordered a key for my husband's '01 Jetta through them. Great customer service and we have a working key for a decent price. Luckily we have VAG-COM at home, and know someone with VAG-TACHO so no dealer visit required!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
atomicthunk,

The key you have appears to be the Valet key. It likely will not open the trunk, glovebox or center console if you have a locking console.

You may be able to find keys on ebay, if you shop around you may be able to find parts of the key or possible even just get a used keyfob and program it to your car.

I cannot recall the VW keyfob programming procedure, but this is something you might be able to do.

Getting the immobilizer working is a bit of a chore on the these cars.

Good luck with your adventure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts