VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beetle <3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I am excited to find this site! I am a female, and new owner of a 2002 VW Bug! I have wanted one for as long as I can remember. Recently an opportunity came up for me to purchase one however it was sight unseen from a dealer out of state. All the pics I saw of it looked good and Carfax was good, so I went ahead with the purchase. Got it up here (from Louisiana to Wisconsin) and needless to say it's a mess! We have determined it was in an accident... many MANY small issues that I will need to address over time. Lots of plastic pieces and parts in the engine cracked and broken, The cover that goes over the engine is missing, platic in wheel wells broken/missing. The body it's self seems to be ok and engine/drivetrain seem to be ok. So I have good bones to work with. The interior is A MESS. Like under the hood, so much seems to be cracked, broken, or missing! It is almost comical at this point, everyday something else falls apart. Over the weekend my rearview mirror fell off, the other day I went to adjust my seat and the knob fell off (because it was broken and HOT GLUED) in place. Just this morning when I dropped my daughter off at school the interior door pull fell off! UGH... The vinyl door cards are a mess and coming off, and the headliner is held up with THUMB TACKS!
Ok enough ranting and raving.... I have visions of what my bug will be someday! I just have to fix her up a little at a time. So I am SOOOO HAPPY I found this site. I am pretty handy and will be doing most of the fixes (under the hood and interior) myself so I am looking forward to tapping all the members for their advice and knowledge and posting pics of my progress! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Welcome, you might start another thread; take pictures of all the problems, list them and we will do our best to help you get everything fixed, back on the road in tip top condition. ;) If you are missing parts; you might post a "wanted to buy" in the classifieds section, there are tons of parts on ebay or check your local junk yard.

For the broken door handle; diselgeek.com; makes a repair kit, called a "beetle brace", that isn't took expensive and can fix that successfully. Check it out here:

Beetlebrace

I would recommend; that you purchase a scan tool for your new beetle and that way you can read trouble codes and we can help you diagnose problems, with these codes.

You can get them off of amazon; for less the $50, that will save you money by not having to go to a vw shop to read the codes... every time your check engine light comes on.

Look on amazon for a vag405 or the more current version vs450.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
IF you're not scared to get down and dirty? Never forget the wonderful place called a "Pick and Pull" yard. (or U Pull U Save)

These salvage yards can be either a gold mine of useful parts, for even trim items...and handles. Or a total bust. (we had 50/50 luck yesterday. Everything we needed except the fog light and 3rd brake light.)

Make a full list of all the nick-nack items you need. You can post here and see if any members have such items in the correct forum. And call around to any local salvage yards that offer the U Pick it and U pull it model. Don't be surprised to see a lot of stripped parts already pulled. It's a crap shoot...but a lot of fun as well.

As for any maintenance items, repair items, etc.... Please post the issues and we will do our best to help.

Welcome to the Group!!

S-

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Welcome to New Beetle dot org. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and it is people like us who benefit the most from this site!
I have tackled many of the problems that you mentioned above with my own beetle, and it can be done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts