VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long time lurking on this forum I finally am a new beetle owner
meet Bryan the BumbleBeetle he is a new to me 2001 GLS turbo that I found in West Virginia with only 76000 miles He survived the trip home to GA with no breakdowns and I just got him back from the shop with a clean bill of health He is my first project car and we are going to learn and grow together as he goes from lightly used commuter car to a love bug track car!
Tire Car Wheel Volkswagen new beetle Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
Welcome, finally, to the Org! So glad you found your New Beetle!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
Looks like a good find! Welcome!

Do you have a history on the timing belt? That would be something I would do ASAP if you don't. A lot of people don't think about time and just go on mileage so it can get overlooked on lower mileage cars.

Reactions: M. Gardner

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a good find! Welcome!

Do you have a history on the timing belt? That would be something I would do ASAP if you don't. A lot of people don't think about time and just go on mileage so it can get overlooked on lower mileage cars.
It never said if it had it done on carfax and the lot I got him from had no idea so I agree it’ll probably have to be done very soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4 month update on Bryan The parts for the timing and water pump are on back order So in the meantime I have been working on simple cosmetics and things I can do The things I have done are
Converted the center console to a 2007 with the better cup holder placement
Switched him from hubcaps and Steelies to alloy wheels. Found alloys at a pull a part and refinished and repainted them myself
Swapped the regular halogen lights for LED aftermarket lights
Also new radio the tape deck was out and doing nothing
Mostly just some really good cleaning inside and outside he was honesty just a super gross car when I got him and now he’s clean and I’m not afraid to show up to people houses with him
Next big phase is going to be the water pump and battle against the rust he has a few bad spots I’m going to try and DIY Fix

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
For a timing belt kit; check out fcpeuro.com, high quality oem parts and lifetime warranty, on everything they sell. A good time, to replace the valve cover, oil cap and oil cooler gaskets, they are typically leaking.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
ECSTuning, is hit or miss; in particular, just like you are have experienced, they have shipping times, that can be long or inaccurate, not be available for extended times and stock issues, they are so notorius, there is a Facebook group dedicated to their dysfunctional ways of doing business, called "why I hate ecstuning": "Log in to Facebook"

While, I do not order allot from ecstuning; the orders, I have gotten, had issues and eventually, they were resolved but in general, I would avoid them and use another company, that has better customer service, stock, reliable shipping times, overall customer satisfaction. If you read the above Facebook group; there are quite a few stories of their customer service and particular, long wait times on shipment or the inevitable, incorrect product being shipped.

FCPEURO, typically has a solid stock on most items and while not perfect on every order I have made, they have always gone above and beyond, if I needed any customer service or corrections in my orders (I had a issue with a waterpump that had been damaged in shipping or before it was shipped; bent impeller). The lifetime warranty is where they really shine and can be the last time, you order certain items, even amazingly, maintenance items, like filters, spark plugs, 02 sensors, oil, wiper blades, fluids, etc, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts