NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2003 new beetle - my dad's been pestering me to put my poor old 93 eurovan into semi-retirement. The bug came with 2 keys, a switchblade main key and a valet key I guess. My question is, can I just drive the car with the valet key and leave the main key home as a spare? The main key is in fair condition, working but may not hold up to everyday use. Someone told me the valet key isn't supposed to be used all the time, but I can't see why. I can open the car, start and drive it, the trunk opens from the button on the inside. Why is there a special different key just to have a locked glove box? In case I like to stash my life savings in the car and then hand it off to valet parking? What am I missing?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
You can use the valet key if you want. I used it on my '99 for awhile, and it was the key my hubby used for my car. But I think it was cut to the master somehow, because I could open the trunk with it. But really its the trunk and glove box that it shouldn't be able to open. And yes, just for that reason. If you have something valuable in your car and you valet park it. In my hubby's Jetta, there is a lock on the door by the trunk and gas flap buttons, which we assume keeps anyone from opening the trunk via that button, but we haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You really should use the keyfob rather than the Valet key. I assume you can open the trunk because the trunk may not have been locked out with the keyfob.

The issue with these German cars is usually the link between the door lock cylinder and door lock actuator is make weak to limit the ability to break into the car. These links tend to break if the key is used to open the door all the time. Once the lock linkage breaks you are kind of SOL unless you can get into the car via the rear hatch/trunk.

You can liken purchase a used key and swap the parts over to make your keyfob close to new. Also the keyfob is actually made up of 3 separate part numbers, so depending on what is in bad shape you may be able to order part of it from the dealer.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Congrats on scoring your NB! There is another cool feature for your key. Get out of your car with the windows down and the sunroof open, shut the door, and stick you key in the door and turn it to lock, and hold it. in a few seconds it will automatically roll both windows up and after that, it will close the sunroof!

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I had only the valet key at my dads and the trunk opened fine from inside -- rear seat was able to be folded just fine too so nothing is safe from thieves in that trunk :) I may have to spring for another main key at the dealer because the one I have is probably gonna fall apart. I'll have to tell the bug I'm not a valet parking kind of person!

·
Registered
209 Posts
depending on where you live you may what to check with your local locksmith.
A locksmith with the proper equipment can cut and code replacement keys for your NB.

You may want to look at this site, has lots of info on repairing and replacing VW keys.

sidewinderkey.com

Hope this helps....

K

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that's very helpful, and very complicated. What happened to just getting keys made at Ace hardware!? So It seems to be the keyless entry part that's in worse shape not the actual key part so it's not so bad. Probably not comfortable dismantling the key to get a better keyless entry part but maybe there are3rd party separate keyless remotes that can be programmed. I'm going to get my dad to take a look. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts