NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new hood with new paint. It sat for a few days at the shop while the paint dried I assume. When I got it back, I let it sit for a day or 2 without touching the hood really. I had just gotten a new mask for the car, so I tried on the upper part. When I took the mask off, I noticed there were light marks where it had been on the hood. These marks/scratches/whatever have not gone away! They're right on the surface, did not go through the paint. Any idea if this can be fixed by hand (maybe a cleaner or wax) or if I should try taking it back to the body shop to be fixed? Thanks!

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
GINA said:
I just got a new hood with new paint. It sat for a few days at the shop while the paint dried I assume. When I got it back, I let it sit for a day or 2 without touching the hood really. I had just gotten a new mask for the car, so I tried on the upper part. When I took the mask off, I noticed there were light marks where it had been on the hood. These marks/scratches/whatever have not gone away! They're right on the surface, did not go through the paint. Any idea if this can be fixed by hand (maybe a cleaner or wax) or if I should try taking it back to the body shop to be fixed? Thanks!
I would try calling the body shop and see what they say. Most likely if they do anything to fix it they're probably going to compound it. You can try that 1st if want also. If the marks are really light that should do it, but I would call 1st to see if its ok to compound it so soon after it being painted.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell me about it. I talked to the body shop and after giving them an earful about what they were supposed to fix (but didn't), they are also going to fix the paint for free. cybergreenbaby is right, they said they'll just compound it :)

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
putting the bra on the freshly painted hood wasn't a good idea in the first place. it takes a month or so for the paint to cure. so technically, that was your bad.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I agree with Amanda. It's not that bras are the devil or this and that, common sense tells you to listen to the body shop when they say not to wax it for a month. That also means no bras, no automatic carwashes, and trying to stay as far back from trucks as possible. Paint needs time to cure. While it's dry to the touch...it needs to harden itself, and that requires time.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm also going to agree with Amanda. It takes 30 days or more for paint to cure (harden). I would have waited probably another 30 days after that to be sure depending on weather conditions, humidity, amount of heat, etc. I would not wash, wax or leave a car outside that has fresh paint. Good luck with the hood.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
hestersu said:
I'm also going to agree with Amanda. It takes 30 days or more for paint to cure (harden). I would have waited probably another 30 days after that to be sure depending on weather conditions, humidity, amount of heat, etc. I would not wash, wax or leave a car outside that has fresh paint. Good luck with the hood.
I'll see your 60 days and raise you 30 - at least 3 months to cure before putting the bra on.

When I had the scallops done it was probably around late March and when June came around for Roswell I finally put the bra on and ended up with what looks like paint creasing at some of the contact areas, especially where the bra cuts across the hood horizontally.
I felt at the time that it was probably the lesser of the two evils - if I hadn't had the bra the paint would have definately been chipped up pretty bad.

Sorry - there is no way to get those type of creases out of the paint. If they are light scratches, maybe...but creases...nope.
I would suggest taking back to the body shop, begging forgiveness for your sins and they might be able to buff it out if it isn't too deep...you're not even supposed to wash your fresh paint for at least a week after new paint - putting any kind of polish or compound on it is a definate no-no until at least a month. Again, let the painter give you guidance, they will be the best source at this point....they know what kind of paint and what the care should be.

On a side note, the painter told me to wait a month before putting the bra on and he suggested for me to use one because his wife's NB is chipped to hell after he did her custom flame job. So, waiting two months was, what I thought was being over cautious.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Cheat said:
I agree with Amanda. It's not that bras are the devil or this and that, common sense tells you to listen to the body shop when they say not to wax it for a month. That also means no bras, no automatic carwashes, and trying to stay as far back from trucks as possible. Paint needs time to cure. While it's dry to the touch...it needs to harden itself, and that requires time.
See, that's the thing. They didn't tell me anything when I picked the car up. No instructions, no "have a nice day", no "don't touch your hood", nothing. I said I'm here to return this rental and pick up my car, and they basically handed me the keys and that was it. I've never had anything repainted on a car before, I wasn't really aware of how long I should wait. My bad?? :confused:

The only time someone said to wait 30-60 days was when I called and asked about washing/waxing myself. I guess we're both boneheads :banghead: Luckily (I guess if you want to call it that) you can only see the marks if you're like 2 inches away from the hood. Bleh..

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
GINA said:
See, that's the thing. They didn't tell me anything when I picked the car up. No instructions, no "have a nice day", no "don't touch your hood", nothing. I said I'm here to return this rental and pick up my car, and they basically handed me the keys and that was it. I've never had anything repainted on a car before, I wasn't really aware of how long I should wait. My bad?? :confused:

The only time someone said to wait 30-60 days was when I called and asked about washing/waxing myself. I guess we're both boneheads :banghead: Luckily (I guess if you want to call it that) you can only see the marks if you're like 2 inches away from the hood. Bleh..

Hmmm...I wouldn't be bringing my car back to these guys once they fix everything. Even Maaco told me to wait a month before waxing and 3 weeks before washing. Paint is like getting a tattoo: proper prep, the process, and aftercare all play major roles in the finished product. Luckily for me, when I had my 04 Jetta painted after the 1st accident with it, I remembered what Maaco told me because the body shop mentioned nothing.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Growler was completely unwaxed for the first 2 months after his new paint was applied. was a hard couple of months, but it was sooooo worth it. good luck GINA. and if its only noticeable from 2" away, it sounds like its not that bad to begin with.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually took the car into a body shop today (not the same one) and with those bright florescent lights, you could see the shotty job they did with the hood in the first place. Many many dust specs, way too many swirls, there's even writing on it where they must've placed the carbon copy paper! Needless to say, they're getting an earful on Monday. I have a satisfaction guarantee on that baby.

At least I've learned my lesson.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
with my paint job i waited two months before i waxed.

it depends on how often or how much your car sits in the sun. the warmer temp allows the paint to cure faster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts