NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some of you saw my thread about my battery problem. Again, found it to be the wire to fuse block above the battery was loose. Car started and ran great.

My daughter drove it to school yesterday and after school it would crank but not start. I got a can of starter fluid and gave it a shot. It started and ran great, like nothing ever happened. When I got it home, turned it off and went to restart and nothing again.. Cranks but won't start. I think I hear the fuel pump running...

No CEL

Any ideas of where to start...

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Have you scanned the car for trouble codes; what are they? I'm thinking; a fuel pump pressure test, might be a good idea to confirm that the fuel pump is working ok (up to pressure spec). When my fuel pump was failing; it become progressively, harder and harder to start. The pressure was ok when the engine was running but when I would turn the car off, the pressure would go to zero (it should maintain fuel pressure), thus the hard start issue. I used a cheap fuel pressure tester from Harbor Freight and it was a quick and easy test; confirmed the fuel pump was bad. Hope this helps.. .

Fuel Injection Pump Tester
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#92699

google: "harbor freight coupon" for a extra 20% off

Fuel Pressure Tester & Fuel Injection Pump Tester

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
17704/P1296/004758 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17663/P1255 - Ross-Tech Wiki

sounds to me; like you coolant temp sensor is bad or plug/wiring at the plug are damaged or broken; I had a problem, where one of the wires broke off the plug and it threw the code {the temp light blinked and stayed blue}. You can get new plugs and replacement repair wires ends at your local vw dealers parts dept.

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Have you tested the fuel pressure yet? I would do that test; that way you can rule out a fuel delivery problem. The coolant temp sensor failure; is a common problem, so it might not be causing the no start issue but contribute to it or be a problem that is in addition to, something else (like a bad fuel pump). The sensor failure; does cause a cold hard start, rough idle (until warmed up)issue but not a no start issue. Start doing a process of elimination; that way you can rule out things with hard cold facts, by testing things like the fuel pressure.

This thread might be helpful:

Fuel Pressure.....what's good??

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/66233-fuel-pressure-whats-good.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna do the fuel pressure test in the morning. The gauge connects to the green port near the coolant tank on the L side of the motor, correct? and then just start and look for 28 psi?

Thank you for your help!

Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts