NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to buy a new radio for my 2004 Turbo s as my old one was shot. A VW dealer said I needed a new radio, they did not mention I need a new wire harness and I'm not even sure they tested my current one to see if was bad.

After taking the bad radio out of the dash my father and I went to install the new radio. We think we somehow pulled the wire harness out too far and now when we try to push the new radio back in the wires get kinked and/or bent and either the Power plug will not make contact(and thus not turn on) or the brown speaker plug will not make contact(and thus the speakers don't work) Both plugs make contact and both the power and speakers will work before we try to put it back in the dash. Problem is we can't seem to figure out how to re-feed the wire harness back down the hole it came, there is resistance when we try to do it by hand. Is there a way to get access to area when the wire feeds to?(by taking off part of the dash or something?) We are only having a problem with the bottom two plugs and not the atenea wire.
HELP!

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah the wires are a pain. the easiest way i found which is not exactly easy is to pull the entire center bezel out that the radio is stuck in. fit the radio with wires and then slide the entire thing back in. It sounds like a lot more work but saves a ton of time when the wires just wont fit like the problem you are having.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the wires are a pain. the easiest way i found which is not exactly easy is to pull the entire center bezel out that the radio is stuck in. fit the radio with wires and then slide the entire thing back in. It sounds like a lot more work but saves a ton of time when the wires just wont fit like the problem you are having.
Can you link me to a "how-to" guide for that?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Did you ever get help with this? Easiest way to guide the harness back down is to remove the section holding the defroster button. Pop the plastic end caps off and there are two allen screws you need to remove. It then has 4 allen screws underneath.once this is released you can reach up and should be able to feel the harness (wrapped in cloth tape). Just gently pull downward as you slide the radio unit in.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts