NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an '06 Gecko Green TDI Beetle

Not being used to the beetle ways I have a question :

Since there is no temp gauge the dash indicator starts with a blue engine cold light which lasts a few minutes then goes away according to the manual this means to not ride the engine hard until it warms up....

So I guess my question is: How long does your blue engine cold stay on for normally (seems to be around 5 minutes for me ) then goes away....

When I first saw this I thoght there was a problem but I just wanted to be sure all it meant was engine cold .

Thanks
 

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
Joined
·
80 Posts
Mine also takes about 3-5 minutes. So don't worry:) . Even though I have the 1.8turbo engine, they should be relatively similar.

P.S. Congatulations on your Beetle. I know you'll love it; oh wait, I mean him/her:p !!
 

·
Send Money
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
Yea!! Another TDI-er :) Welcome to the fold!!!

5 minutes, or less if it's warm outside. I would say going
easy on the throttle for the first few minutes is prudent.

Do you shift, or does the car do it for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies !

Yes its a 5 speed manual so I do the shifting.

Do you guys buy fuel additives or anything for your TDI ?

I noticed on some discussions about additives and stuff....

I ordered my TDI on 9/6 shortly after Katrina and it arrived around 10/22 but because of hurricane Wilma I wasnt able to pick it up until 11/2 ... Still not too bad of a wait for a TDI ordered to my specs (gecko , pakg 2 , sirius sat , cd changer)

I was also thinking about putting a TDI badge on it where do you guys recomend ordering VW stuff ? (badge , mats , etc...)

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Seconded - Get thee to http://www.tdiclub.com pronto and start reading. Start with the FAQ, then TDI101, then start on the other forums.

Look for drivbiwire's break in routine - just as applicable to your new car as it was for the older, non-PD TDIs.

And be very careful about taking your baby to the dealership....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
You did not state where you live so I don't know what sort of cold weather you expect but . . . where I live 0F for extended periods of time in the dead of winter is normal. At those temps my blue temp light can stay on for 15 minutes easily.

Right now morning temps are in the high 40's F so the cold engine light stays on for about 5 minutes.
 

·
Diesel Inside
Joined
·
359 Posts
I'm in Texas and when it's warm the blue light sometimes doesn't even go on after sitting all night. But lately it's been cooling off (50-60 degrees) and the light stays on for the typical 3 minutes or so. Read the break in procedure on TDIclub and I think it addresses this...you still want to rev to about 2500. The diesel engine warms up way faster than gas engines. Also, it won't warm up until you are driving it...so get in, start it and go...unlike the gas engine you may be used to where you start it and let it warm up before you drive.

BTW, I got my TDI badge at the dealer...call a couple and get prices. Should compare to what you find online after shipping.

I don't use any additives on my diesel. Although, my last 4 of 5 tanks have been 100% Biodiesel. Even then I don't use any cetane booster or anything. Some guys though swear by additives, but until I have problems with my current setup I won't change it.
 

·
member of the old *****
Joined
·
31 Posts
tdi

jpdeuce said:
I'm in Texas and when it's warm the blue light sometimes doesn't even go on after sitting all night. But lately it's been cooling off (50-60 degrees) and the light stays on for the typical 3 minutes or so. Read the break in procedure on TDIclub and I think it addresses this...you still want to rev to about 2500. The diesel engine warms up way faster than gas engines. Also, it won't warm up until you are driving it...so get in, start it and go...unlike the gas engine you may be used to where you start it and let it warm up before you drive.

BTW, I got my TDI badge at the dealer...call a couple and get prices. Should compare to what you find online after shipping.

I don't use any additives on my diesel. Although, my last 4 of 5 tanks have been 100% Biodiesel. Even then I don't use any cetane booster or anything. Some guys though swear by additives, but until I have problems with my current setup I won't change it.
i found it the other way the THE GAS WARMS UP WAY FASTER than a diesel.:)
 

·
Diesel Inside
Joined
·
359 Posts
tdi jerry said:
i found it the other way the THE GAS WARMS UP WAY FASTER than a diesel.:)
Who knows, I've never driven a gas car that warms up as fast as my diesel. Just to confirm, you aren't sitting there waiting for the diesel to warm up right? The diesel won't warm up sitting there...you gotta get it movin.
 

·
Cherchez la coeur...
Joined
·
977 Posts
True. A TDI will never reach operating temperature at an idle - ever. It is too efficient at such low fuel useage, you're gonna have to put a load on it to get it hot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
Congrats on your new NB TDI!

On the additives question: I use PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) yearround for cetane boost (less smoke and soot) and anti-gel (which also helps prevent water contamination).

Unless you have access to Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (most don't) or run on 100% biodiesel, it's good to add at least some cetane boost. I use PS DFS even when running mostly biodiesel to help prevent water contamination.

Also, it's a hassle to add the additive when you fill up, so just keep the bottle at home and add 4 oz or so before you go to fill up or when you come home from filling the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. Salut!

Not sure how cold your winter is or how hard your commute driving is. Different strokes for different folks. It was 9F here this morning and my blue temp light stayed on for a good 25 minutes even though the car is garage kept.

As for add-ons, you can really go nuts here so be careful. ;)

I've added/purchased:

- a TDI decal
- Monster mats for mud/snow
- Auxillary Input adapter for MP3 player /satellite radio
- Bentley service manual
- VAG-COM
- fluted oil filter wrench
- engine oil (it's model-specific so BE CAREFUL)
- oil & fuel filters
- fuel additive (for winter use)

ps. oh, and a baseball bat to fight off the chicks because the NB is a chick magnet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
276 Posts
2006 audio options

Auxillary Input adapter for MP3 player /satellite radio
No need -- that's standard on the 2006 radio/CD player. You'll have to hunt for it, unless you dig out the owner's manual, though. It's underneath the control panel on the right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I've been close to 10minutes before the light goes out also. But I tend to coast a lot and that doesn't help the engine warm up very much ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Beeble said:
No need -- that's standard on the 2006 radio/CD player. You'll have to hunt for it, unless you dig out the owner's manual, though. It's underneath the control panel on the right side.
Glad to hear it's now a standard feature. I wait for the day that an espresso machine as standard equipment. :D
 

·
Diesel Inside
Joined
·
359 Posts
Beeble said:
No need -- that's standard on the 2006 radio/CD player. You'll have to hunt for it, unless you dig out the owner's manual, though. It's underneath the control panel on the right side.
What about an '03 with a Monsoon system? Would that be back there in the wiring as well? I'd love to hook up with RCAs...I'd really like to run it to the laptop for movies on longer trips. The FM modulator don't work so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
jpdeuce said:
What about an '03 with a Monsoon system? Would that be back there in the wiring as well? I'd love to hook up with RCAs...I'd really like to run it to the laptop for movies on longer trips. The FM modulator don't work so good.
I doubt it. I have an '04 and I didn't have it. I had to install an auxillary input adapter. The upside was my NB is pre-wired for a cd-changer. You may or may not be pre-wired as well.

The other option is to install an aux input adapter to the rear of the radio. Marvin's Dad (?) has a great pictorial on how to do this. IIRC it's in the Audio forum.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top