VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new timing belt, tensioner, acc belt, and water pump.

Now with the car idling I can hear an intermittent rattle from around the oil pan. :mad: I checked and triple checked the timing. The tensioner is set correctly from what I can tell and everything is torqued to spec.

The old water pump broke as it came out but I think I got all the bits of it out. The new one spins smooth as it should.

I put a screw driver the the head with the car running and didn't hear the rattle so I'm 90% its not valves.

There was no rattle before the new belt! HELP!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I would double-check the tension on the timing belt. It can be checked and adjusted by removing just the upper belt cover. Use a mirror to look at the tension adjustment marks. I set mine with just a little torque applied to the crankshaft to keep the portion of the belt between the cam and the crankshaft tight.

I've also seen conflicting accounts of which direction to turn the adjuster center section to tighten the belt. I believe that counter-clockwise is the correct direction.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
noise

One thing that folks keep forgetting and it's a common mistake when you do the timing belt is putting the serpentine belt tensioner spacer in the wrong side and the belt rubs against the crank metal cover.....I almost did it too if I hadn't taken a picture of the before and after.....Glad they invented digital cameras :p actually it's just a holding plate for the coolant hose but folks put it on the wrong side and acts like a spacer.

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
One thing that folks keep forgetting and it's a common mistake when you do the timing belt is putting the serpentine belt tensioner spacer in the wrong side and the belt rubs against the crank metal cover.....I almost did it too if I hadn't taken a picture of the before and after.....Glad they invented digital cameras :p actually it's just a holding plate for the coolant hose but folks put it on the wrong side and acts like a spacer.
Been there, done that, more than once ... :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would double-check the tension on the timing belt. It can be checked and adjusted by removing just the upper belt cover. Use a mirror to look at the tension adjustment marks. I set mine with just a little torque applied to the crankshaft to keep the portion of the belt between the cam and the crankshaft tight.

I've also seen conflicting accounts of which direction to turn the adjuster center section to tighten the belt. I believe that counter-clockwise is the correct direction.
I can tell you that it IS counter clockwise for the tension adjustment. Ill check the tension tonight yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts