VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looks like the Bug is deceased... Anyone ever heard of a new timing belt splitting in half? It was a Conti belt and have used them many times on other cars with great success. Never seen such a thing on a 2 month old belt with new rollers and water pump. Rollers all spin freely.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Continental belts are oem; maybe something else went wrong? Did you replace everything in the belt path; including, the hydraulic tensioner? I have heard of the tensioner failing; although I have not experienced it myself. I guess anything can happen; sorry to hear, it failed! :-(
What is next; did the valves get bent?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced everything Tensioner incl. Going to assume valves were comprimised as she quit while driving (2000rpm) real let down as I spent a lot of time and money replacing everything I could think of ( tires, coil packs, plugs, expansion tank, coolant flanges, oil cooler, fan control, window regulators, window switches etc..) to make it a good car for my wife and kids. Thanks for your condolences just like to get some idea why.. Guess I will have some good parts for sale up and coming. Don't have time to swap heads unfortunately.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, you might call around and see what kind of estimates shops give you for the repair. A convertible Turbo 5 speed; is a neat car, might be worth it, if you feel a real connection to the car and considering the amount of money you already have invested and repairs done (you have gone through; pretty much ALL of the typical problems these cars have, aside from the top). :) If the top and the rest of the car are in good condition; another factor, to add into your evaluation, of the value of the repair.

Here is a diy; to look over the process:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/35490-bad-timing-belt-need-head-rework.html

Rebuilt exchange 1.8T heads; have been coming down in price lately, here is an example: @ $550:

VW BEETLE 1.8 20 VALVE REBUILT CYLINDER HEAD VOLKSWAGEN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for repair links. Went out today and bought another Audi Allroad. I have one but being a stage 2 not my wife's favourite with the 3" exhaust.. Just bought her a nice untouched example. Now to make the Beetle find a home or resting spot : (

1 - 5 of 5 Posts