NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have an 02 NB Turbo S with the stock 225/45/17 setup. The tires are old and it's time to upgrade. When I do upgrade I want my car to have a meaner look without sacrificing the smoothness of the ride, and without having tires big enough to scuff wheel wells. I was considering stepping down to 16s and getting a bigger tire, but I've decided to either keep my 17s or to upgrade to 18". But if I could get a beefy set of tires while keeping the 17" wheels, that would be superb.

These are the options...and I've used a tire size calculator that I found in another thread, (the link is below)

Tire size calculator

to calculate the speedometer reading, sidewall, etc., but I will need some help on a few things. I've decided to go with either Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires or Federal Formoza Fd2s:

I. 17" Options:

1)235/45/17 1.4% speedometer reading too slow
This here would probably be the ideal tire & wheel size for me, but Formoza's specs sheet said the standard rim width is 8.0, and best for wheels between 7.5 and 8.5mm. My current wheels are 17 X 7.0, so my guess is this may not work..? :confused: Does anyone have any experience with this size, and if so how is it?

2)225/50/17 3.5% Speedometer reading too slow
Given the circumstance that I can have the gearing of the trans recalibrated and that it wouldn't be too expensive, I'd go with this next if I couldn't get the 235/45/17 setup.

II. 18" Options:

First off, will upgrading from 17" to 18" wheels automatically reduce the smoothness of the ride if I stayed with the same tire dimensions? (225/45) If the answer is yes, then most likely I won't go there...since upgrading the height percentage may make the tires scrape the wheel wells. Anybody have experience with both 17" and 18" tires? (Note: I'm aware that they gear ratios would have to be recalibrated, I just want to know about ride quality vs 17")

1) 225/55/18 4.0% Speedometer too slow

2)235/40/18 1.7% Speedometer too slow
Now this is the ideal size that I would love to have if I did decide to upgrade to 18" Wheels (unfortunately, it sucks that Formoza doesn't have this size...so I hope the 17"s pull through :mad: )

III. 16" Options:

I know I said I wouldn't consider smaller wheels, but just in case it doesn't look too bad...here's what I'm thinking..

1) 205/55/16 0.4% Speedometer too fast

2) 215/55/16 1.4% Speedometer too slow
This is the ideal setup for this size wheel to me.

So these are the options that I'm faced with. I'm looking for a very quiet ride, with a meaner looker tire than my stock 225/45/17 setup. Please help! Would really appreciate any/all input, i've been mulling over these for a few days and need personal experienced opinions to help me make my decision. Thanks!

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And with the wheel specs I meant inches lol not millimeters

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
keeping the same sidewall height as your current tires on 18s should not in any way change the comfort of the ride, or it's smoothness. My friend used to own a car that he had 18s on. When he had regular tires, the ride was fine. When he had super low pros, the ride was still fine. I didn't notice any change from that when he had his winter tires on the car, which were 16s with your average tire. Unless you plan on hitting every pot hole or driving off road or on dirt, you shouldn't notice too much of a change when you change sidewall sizes. Or wheel sizes for that matter. If you are that concerned about a super smooth ride and having bigger wheels, try getting a softer suspension. Cornering and handling won't be as good, but you will have the feeling of riding a cloud. I prefer the really stiff suspension though. Makes me feel more connected with the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Federal Formosa FD2s ride super smooth. And they have a bigger looking appearance to them. Do they come in a 225 45 17 inch size though? O, by the way I run 235 50 17 Formozas on my car. And it handles great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
The Deltas are actually 7.5 wide. As to why they run 225 tires when all other mk4/beetle 17s run 215 tires.

I just got some 8.5 wide 18s and I'm running 235 wide falkens 912's and they're awesome. But there were the only tires I could get with an actual mileage warranty (still only 40k though). For the way I drive, its more important that my tires last as long as possible instead of being made super soft and only lasting 10-20k.

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keeping the same sidewall height as your current tires on 18s should not in any way change the comfort of the ride, or it's smoothness. My friend used to own a car that he had 18s on. When he had regular tires, the ride was fine. When he had super low pros, the ride was still fine. I didn't notice any change from that when he had his winter tires on the car, which were 16s with your average tire. Unless you plan on hitting every pot hole or driving off road or on dirt, you shouldn't notice too much of a change when you change sidewall sizes. Or wheel sizes for that matter. If you are that concerned about a super smooth ride and having bigger wheels, try getting a softer suspension. Cornering and handling won't be as good, but you will have the feeling of riding a cloud. I prefer the really stiff suspension though. Makes me feel more connected with the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hmm...interesting. Thanks squirreljuice, I'll continue to consider bigger wheels after all. I don't know if I want to spend extra $ on the wheels though...depends on how much they'd cost. Hahaha! i'm not getting rid of my suspension either! It's one of the things that makes a Turbo S...a Turbo S... :lol: :cool:

It's official...I'm definately not getting 16s lol.

Federal Formosa FD2s ride super smooth. And they have a bigger looking appearance to them. Do they come in a 225 45 17 inch size though? O, by the way I run 235 50 17 Formozas on my car. And it handles great!

Dude, I actually learned of this brand when I read your comment on someone else's post! Hahaha perfect timing bro :bigthumb: , I have a question for you. Having that size tire and wheels doesn't scrape your wheel wells when turning/going down driveways/etc?

If your answer is no, this post may be an automatic case closed lol, unless someone else has some experience that says otherwise.. the only reason I didn't list that size is because I thought it may be too big (So I was opting for 235/40/17 as my ideal choice instead..

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Deltas are actually 7.5 wide. As to why they run 225 tires when all other mk4/beetle 17s run 215 tires.

I just got some 8.5 wide 18s and I'm running 235 wide falkens 912's and they're awesome. But there were the only tires I could get with an actual mileage warranty (still only 40k though). For the way I drive, its more important that my tires last as long as possible instead of being made super soft and only lasting 10-20k.
Deltas? Not exactly sure what you're referring too... As far as i know all other beetles come stock with the 16 X 6.5 Steel wheels...mine supposedly are 17 X 7.0s...

Oh believe me, I'm about longevity as well, but I don't plan on just going all out on my baby...not yet at least lol. So for me, smoothness and handling are priority. I can always just set a little money aside every check for when my tires eventually do wear out on a young buck hahaha

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry man, to answer your Q: Yes, they do have 225/45/17s... do you think those would be better since Formoza's appear bigger?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hmm...interesting. Thanks squirreljuice, I'll continue to consider bigger wheels after all. I don't know if I want to spend extra $ on the wheels though...depends on how much they'd cost. Hahaha! i'm not getting rid of my suspension either! It's one of the things that makes a Turbo S...a Turbo S... :lol: :cool:

It's official...I'm definately not getting 16s lol.

Dude, I actually learned of this brand when I read your comment on someone else's post! Hahaha perfect timing bro :bigthumb: , I have a question for you. Having that size tire and wheels doesn't scrape your wheel wells when turning/going down driveways/etc?

If your answer is no, this post may be an automatic case closed lol, unless someone else has some experience that says otherwise.. the only reason I didn't list that size is because I thought it may be too big (So I was opting for 235/40/17 as my ideal choice instead..
Yes, they rub a tiny bit on the inside upper part of the front wheel liner. But I have about a 3 inch drop off my car also. I know for a fact that 225 50 17 do not rub. Whatsoever. Keep us posted. :)

·
9,487 Posts
Deltas? Not exactly sure what you're referring too... As far as i know all other beetles come stock with the 16 X 6.5 Steel wheels...mine supposedly are 17 X 7.0s...

Oh believe me, I'm about longevity as well, but I don't plan on just going all out on my baby...not yet at least lol. So for me, smoothness and handling are priority. I can always just set a little money aside every check for when my tires eventually do wear out on a young buck hahaha
Delta.jpg

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, they rub a tiny bit on the inside upper part of the front wheel liner. But I have about a 3 inch drop off my car also. I know for a fact that 225 50 17 do not rub. Whatsoever. Keep us posted. :)

Hmm... didnt you have to recalibrate your system so your ABS and things wouldn't be operating inefficiently?

The reason I ask is because, your tire/wheel set of 235/50/17 would make the speedometer slow by about 4.5% (The speedometer would say 60mph, but I'd actually be going 63mph). Is this enough of a jump to require a techical recal? Also, this size sidewall of 4.6" over the stock's 4.0" isn't too much for the rims?

Even with 225/50/17, the speedometer would still be off by about 3.5%... (Read 60mph but i'd be at 62.1.)... If I keep the same wheel size, the 235/45/17 fit is the closest one to the size that I have now without throwing the readings off by too much.

Are you saying the 235/50/17s that you have wouldn't even scuff your insides if you didn't lower it 3"? So if I didn't care about recalibration (or it wasn't that big of a problem), I wouldn't have to worry about that at all?

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Aahh... got it, thanks. Not sure if I want the deltas though. Honestly if I decided to spend money on new wheels, I might as well step it up to the 18s...

·
9,487 Posts
Aahh... got it, thanks. Not sure if I want the deltas though. Honestly if I decided to spend money on new wheels, I might as well step it up to the 18s...
Yeah, that's what I did. But only because these wheels popped up for sale at the right moment....

Attachments

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NICE! Those look smooth, man. I would've hopped on those too. Are you running 17" or 18"?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hmm... didnt you have to recalibrate your system so your ABS and things wouldn't be operating inefficiently?

The reason I ask is because, your tire/wheel set of 235/50/17 would make the speedometer slow by about 4.5% (The speedometer would say 60mph, but I'd actually be going 63mph). Is this enough of a jump to require a techical recal? Also, this size sidewall of 4.6" over the stock's 4.0" isn't too much for the rims?

Even with 225/50/17, the speedometer would still be off by about 3.5%... (Read 60mph but i'd be at 62.1.)... If I keep the same wheel size, the 235/45/17 fit is the closest one to the size that I have now without throwing the readings off by too much.

Are you saying the 235/50/17s that you have wouldn't even scuff your insides if you didn't lower it 3"? So if I didn't care about recalibration (or it wasn't that big of a problem), I wouldn't have to worry about that at all?

Speedometer reads perfect now. It was always of a little bit, it would read 65 when you were actually only going 62. For some reason, most Volkswagen Beetles were like that.

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They're 18s.
Got it. Looks good, thanks man.

Speedometer reads perfect now. It was always of a little bit, it would read 65 when you were actually only going 62. For some reason, most Volkswagen Beetles were like that.
Hmm... that's very interesting man. I will look into that. If it is as you say then I may have found my set tire/wheel config (235/50/17). Most likely I will use this, but if for some reason I don't, 235/45/17 is the backup. Thanks a lot everybody, I really appreciate the advice! Much needed.

Godspeed!

:band: :warmfuzi: :runnethov

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Btw PRM502STREET, those wheels and lowering make your car look like a beast!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts