NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on tire brands? I mean I don't want to spend a fortune on an 11 year old car w 90K+ miles. I wonder what tires these Beetles came with from the factory in 2000? Previous owner has BF Goodrich, Transaction T/A tires on there now. I must say the car rides nice with them, handles well, and really no tire noise. Hate to loose this kind of result. Wasn't "Continental" the brand you saw on all the Beetles in the 60's?

Thanks,
Geo.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Buying tires is all about price...... Meaning how much you want to spend. I suggest TireRack.com or DiscountTire. You can use these sites to shop for tire with different prices.
I had a set of Dunlaps that were junk. Now I am running Kuhmo, and they have been wearing well for the miles I have put on them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have Fuzion HRI's on my US bug & Kendra Komet (sp) on my UK one, both budget tyres but both pretty good and all season too.

Kate

·
New NB Owner/Lover!
251 Posts
I bought mine with Goodyear Eagle F1s... they were overpriced crap! I went through all four within five months... since I have replaced them with 3 General Evertrek (and one Fuzion ZR1)... and have had ZERO problems. I recommend the Evertrek.. it's cheap-ish and trust me... anything that can handle my driving (after driving only SUVs until my Beetle) is an awesomely rugged tire... haha.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I've bought tires from the same local shop all my life. He gets them in bulk from dealers going out of business or dealers/suppliers selling off excess stock, new wrecked cars, etc. He has a vast warehouse of them and all he does is mount and balance. No aligning or engine work...just tires.

Regardless, they are like new (these still had nipples that hadn't worn off), he warranties them, and a set for my Turbo S cost $225 mounted and balanced. The brand name is Continental: 225/45/R17.

Hard to beat and I'm sure your area might have a similar shop. In fact, I ran over a nail a week later into the sidewall of all places (my luck) and drove back on the spare and he replaced it free without so much as doing paperwork.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I had a set of Hancooks put on by the dealer...didn't do so well in the rain and started cracking and dryrotting long before the tread wore out. I had less than 40k on them when I had to finally replace them for fear of them falling apart (5 years on them...cracking started a year prior at least). Bought a set of Kumhos and loved them. Great in the rain, no noise and just felt really good. I had 5k and a year on them when I was in my accident. Hubby bought a set of the same tires for his Honda at the same time and they are holding up great (aside from his drivers front being a nail magnet...Hooray for Discount Tire's extended protection plan [free repairs/replacement for the life of the tires. Well worth the cost]). When the Nittos go on my GTI (what it came with), I'm definitely getting another set of Kumhos.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any recommendations on tire brands? I mean I don't want to spend a fortune on an 11 year old car w 90K+ miles. I wonder what tires these Beetles came with from the factory in 2000? Previous owner has BF Goodrich, Transaction T/A tires on there now. I must say the car rides nice with them, handles well, and really no tire noise. Hate to loose this kind of result. Wasn't "Continental" the brand you saw on all the Beetles in the 60's?

Thanks,
Geo.
For what it's worth, my local discount tire guy is pushing General Altimax - 205/55 R16 91H. He is quoting the best price, by far, of all the tire places I've visited. Does the Forum Community have any issues w the General Altimax tire? Thanks again - George

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
For what it's worth, my local discount tire guy is pushing General Altimax - 205/55 R16 91H. He is quoting the best price, by far, of all the tire places I've visited. Does the Forum Community have any issues w the General tire? Thanks again - George
I searched for that tire and found customer reviews at WalMart on slightly different sizes and they all seem to love them. Great tire - low price is what they say.

The exact tire size at WalMart is $99/ea.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-AltiMAX-RT-Passenger-Touring-Tire/14964024

·
Beer BEer BEER beER
271 Posts
Wasn't "Continental" the brand you saw on all the Beetles in the 60's?

Thanks,
Geo.

At 70K miles I replaced the factory installed Michelins with a set of Continentals.

At 100K, I'm going to put Michelins back on.

The Continentals wore like crap, have poor wet weather handling, and make a lot of road noise.

YMMV.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts

At 70K miles I replaced the factory installed Michelins with a set of Continentals.

At 100K, I'm going to put Michelins back on.

The Continentals wore like crap, have poor wet weather handling, and make a lot of road noise.

YMMV.
I forgot the brand I had on the car (they were a common name, just don't remember) when I bought it last November but I noticed the exact opposite going to Continental...I guess my original tires were super duper awful for these tires to be a big improvement in handling and sound.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for (i.e., "what is the mission profile for your car and its tires?"); since we get almost the full spectrum of weather conditions here in Indiana (and a few weather combinations NO ONE else gets to experience...), my wife and I focus on what are termed "ultra high-performance all-season tires". This classification of tires provide exceptional wet/dry performance as well as some useful grip in ice/snow conditions (we used to keep dedicated snow tires mounted on a separate set of wheels, swapping them on in the late fall and taking them off in the early spring). So, our New Beetle, "Klaus" (named for the German-speaking goldfish character on the "American Dad" animated TV series), wears Continental ExtremeContact DWS (205/55ZR16) tires. These are outstanding tires from a performance perspective; they're extremely grippy, very quiet on all road surfaces and they're wearing quite well. The Tire Rack has them for about $100/tire. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts