NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forums, just found a beetle, didn't know they were that fun to drive... anyway the beetle I've bought has some modifications, I was just wondering if there are any signs to look for to know if the ECU has been modified?

I say this because there is an ARP tuning badge on the back of the beetle, which doesn't seemed to far fetched since I looked up the company and they are in Auburn AL, which isn't but about 4 hours from here at the most.

The springs have been changed, slotted rotors all the way around painted calipers, fully adjustable shocks underneath, some carbon fiber stuff all over the dash don't know if I really like it, either it has a new blow of valve or the current BOV has been modified in some way to give it the pfft sound, there is a short shifter b&m I think not really sure right now, I can see the intake is a neuspeed intake, just a filter with half a box/metal plate looking thing, exhuast, trasmission shifts really smooth..

Just wanted to know if there was a way to tell if the ECU has been modified, I may call the company and see if they have any way to track it because I'd hate to pay to get something modified that has already been done.

Also I hear there are kits that can covert the 5spd to a 6spd? Do you have to mess with your ecu if you do that? How much boost can the 1.8t handle reliably? I have no idea what I'm pushing now there isn't a gauge or anything.. Any help would be great thanks guys...

Only reason I'm hoping that the ECU has been completely upgraded is due to the fact that It seems that everything else has been done... I haven't checked to see if the lower stock IC pipe has been replaced or turbo inlet pipe or downpipe, but I do know the exhuast has been modified, haven't crawled under the car yet to see if it's a full system though.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I believe APR flashes their ECUs, so I'm not sure if there is any outward sign that it's been modded. You could take the left upper dash panel off and peek inside...

The 5-6speed kit is kind of expensive (over $1000), but no ECU work required on that.

Most chipped 1.8Ts run mid-teens for boost, I believe.

If the DV is plastic, then stock. If metal, then aftermarket. :bigthumb:

-Des

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you modify the stock ones to give the pfft sound? I may be mistaken but I didn't think they came that way stock. Thanks for the reply, the VW is backwards to me lol reminds me of my brothers dodge with the exhaust manifold facing inward... doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room to work, I'll give it a look thanks again.

How is the 6spd kit is it a waste of money? is it going to give me more pull at higher speeds? I just like 6spds for some reason, after all that's how I found this bug shopping for a Trans Am ws-6.

Only reason I'm pressing the issue is because I'd rather the beetle last a while then die after 30k miles, it only has 35k now, So as far as getting more power the boost is all electronically controlled through the ECU? So options are upgrading the turbo, reprogramming the ecu etc?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The stock DV is crap. If the diaphragm cracks, it's junk. Aftermarket DVs (Forge, Bailey) will give the "woosh" sound and provide a slight performance boost.

I only said the 6sp kit was expensive. ;) The 5th gear ratio is slightly changed. I think it would be easier to find a 6-speed unit from a salvage yard and install it instead. It's not going to make a huge difference on final drive, though the overall revs will drop a little.

Yeah, the ECU does handle the boost along with air/fuel mixture ratios. There are boost controllers available, though the air/fuel isn't metered along with it. Upgrading the turbo, adding an N75 race valve, turbo plumbling, etc.

Total boost, not sure there. Another member will jump in with that info for you. :)

-Des

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Don't the 6speeds have 2 final drives?
1 for 1st-4th gear and another for 5th & 6th gear?

I don't know how this affects the conversion or if it's part of the conversion, but this might be why it costs what it does.

I would be nice to just add a 6th gear to the current 5 speed so that you have a cruising gear for highway.
I think the 5 speed has a pretty good spacing for the torque of the 1.8T.
Adding another, close gear won't necessarily make the car much quicker, just make you shift more.
The more torque you have, the less gears you really need.
(Early 930 turbos had 4speeds)

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know I'm not really sure one way or the other about the transmission, I honestly want the bug to pull harder in 5th then add the 6th gear as like an overdrive, but I'm not really sure how all of that works, I like how 1-4 pull, but I'd honestly like 4 to pull like 3 and 5 to pull like 4, then have 6th as an overdrive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts