VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the forums. My story is a little unusual. I grew up right outside of Boston, and for as far back as I can remember, I have been absolutely terrified of driving. And being a city girl, there was no real vital necessity to learn. Most of my friends got their licenses late, but I was the final holdout.

Flash forward to 2012 and my 30th birthday. I thought "this has to end. I'm getting my license this year." Then my boyfriend's old 1996 Saturn died, and I was in better financial shape to purchase a car right away than he was. And I KNEW I wanted a Bug. I figured my boyfriend could be the primary driver until he was able to buy his own car, and I could learn on the Bug and I'd have a car once I got my license. So I shopped around and in the end came away with a 2002 silver Bug that only had 50,000 miles on it. I love it. And my boyfriend ended up buying my friend's Civic when he was upgrading to a new car. I'm currently taking some driving lessons, and the crippling fear is gone. My goal is to have my license before the snow season hits. Then I'll be able to drive my little Bug around Boston without needing to have someone else in the car with me.

One question... my car didn't have floor mats. Now that bad weather is approaching, and I'll be driving more often, I want to invest in some. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to look?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the site and to the ORG! as for floor mats I have some I got at the local auto parts store and have moved from vehicle to vehicle for many years, but there are many that have great all weather control made specifically for the Beetle.

Floor Mats All-Weather | WeatherTech.com

This is where I'll get my next set.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,234 Posts
Welcome! More info on the Bug and pics please! What engine/trans does it have?

As for floor mats, honestly, I usually buy the thick rubber mats that are sold at Sam's Club and the like. I had a set in my NB for the entire 6 1/2 years I owned the car. Hubby had some in his Honda and now his Jetta. None in my GTI because it came with Monster Mats :D But the Sam's mats are cheap but thick and work pretty well. You have to trim them a bit, but they'll work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted a couple pics to my profile. I'll have to take some more. Engine is 2.0L; automatic transmission. I looked at an '01 Turbo when I was shopping around, but it had 70,000 miles on it and mine only had 50. It doesn't feel at all like a ten-year-old car. Inside, rear cupholder is broken and the interior paint is bubbled on the driver's side, but that's it.

Like I said, it's been a great car to learn on. It's easy to drive, and it takes corners really well. I feel like I have to apply more pressure to the gas and the brake than I do in the driving school's Camry, but not to the point where it feels like the brakes need work. The weirdest adjustment is with parking. I'm still in the stage of trying to figure out how much room I have in front of me because of the dome shape. I always think I'm closer than I am to the car in front of me or to the edge of the parking space.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,234 Posts
I will say, even though it has 50k on it, I'd think about getting the timing belt replaced soon. Its got 10 years on it so its at the end of its life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, Smileybug, I love the Darla pics! So sad she's no longer with you. I love the blue almost as much as I do the cyber green, which is like, my dream car. Someday I will get my cyber green bug! For this first purchase I was going for an automatic with decent mileage at the cheapest I could find. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome to the org! As for floor mats, I would get the Monster mats. They are designed to help with wet/snowy shoes. Most VW dealer sells them, and you can check online or eBay.

X's 2 on the timing belt. I just bought a 04 Turbo S w/54,000 miles. I went ahead and did the TB job myself. Actually the belt was still good, it was the water pump that was bad. For some stupid reason VW put plastic impellars on them and they fall apart. Mine was missing 2 blades and loose on the shaft. They make a metal impellar style, and highly recommend changing it also.
I would also do a fluid & filter change on the tranny. VW says its a lifetime fluid and doesn't need changed. WRONG, all fluid breaks down over time and filters do get clogged.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,857 Posts
Welcome to:
The happy world of driving
The happy world of driving a new beetle
The happy world of driving and owning a new beetle.
The happy world of new beetle.org- where happy new beetle owners and drivers hang out:)

Glad to have you here. Congrats on conquering the driving thing and getting a license. You'll ace the course and the test as well. Keep us posted on your escapades....OH, and pics of your new beetle would be stellar:bigthumb:

Don't be a stranger- keep posting:wave2:

·
Super Moderator
14,800 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: Welcome to the New Beetle, :party: and Welcome to driving...the funnest car on the road! :clap:

Get thee to your nearest dealer, and invest in Monster Mats. You will be glad you did. :wink2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered some Monster Mats! They're supposed to arrive tomorrow. Now I just need to get the license. I tried booking a road test today. I had wanted to take the test on my car, but the soonest and closest appointment was over two hours away in mid-November. If I waited for something closer to home, it would likely be after Christmas. My goal was to get the license before there was risk of snow. So I might just book the test through the driving school I was using so that I can book it on a Saturday and get a much sooner date. It's just way more expensive, and if you don't pass you're out all that money. And I have to do the test on their Camry, so it won't feel like me and my Buggie are accomplishing it together. But if that's what it's going to take to get me driving by myself before 2013, it's worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts