NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Noob ;)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
I just got this car today, for free! it's a 2000 Intrepid ES
Needs new engine bearings, we think it spun a bearing.
Also needs a new battery, and a tune up
After that I get to go to town on the cosmetics :D
So excited to get this guy running smoothly!
Here are some pics from the lot at my school's auto shop- I'll post more when I clean him!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
The body and interior look OK, but the engine is toast?

·
Noob ;)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not entirely toast, the shop guy says changing the bearings and a good tune up should fix it. Only has 109k miles so it would suck to junk it so soon.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Great find!!

Is a rebuild of the bottom end (what you need to do to get to the main bearings)a common things for these to need at 100k???? Or did it never get any oil in it's lifetime??

I hope it all works well after the engine work.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Nice Score but if it has the 2.7L v6 that may explain why it needs engine work, those motors are Junk, Chrysler had nothing but issues with them . never understood why they did away with the 3.3L and 3.5 L they started out with in the Intrepids back in 1993. the 3.3L is the ideal motor as it has a timing chain and not a Belt :)

·
Noob ;)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen that the 2.7L commonly have this issue early (as well as many others), but this is a 3.2L so I don't know if it has the same deal? o_O

I bought a new battery, bearing kit, oil pan gasket, oil, and a filter today and hopefully I will be able to start this project early tomorrow morning... and miss some school ;)

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
thats Cool that is has the 3.2L , Maybe the PO just didnt change the oil like they were suppose to . theres a forum for the Intrepids, DodgeIntrepid.net much like the beetle forum here :). My 95 has been a good car so far, 221K miles and counting :D

·
Noob ;)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats Cool that is has the 3.2L , Maybe the PO just didnt change the oil like they were suppose to . theres a forum for the Intrepids, DodgeIntrepid.net much like the beetle forum here :). My 95 has been a good car so far, 221K miles and counting :D
They did indeed run it out of oil :/ I have run my bug out before too :eek: lol she was okay though.
And thank you! I signed up on the Intrepid forum yesterday! :D

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Looks good :goodjob: wish mine was that clean but she is older and higher miles :eek: :lol: its funny with having 221K miles the only thing that doesnt work is the a/c because it wont hold a charge . ah well :)

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Great job! It looks happier already.

·
Noob ;)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( Not sure how to say this other than he broke :( diagnosis- something came off behind the fly wheel and we scraped the car to pick and pull :( on the bright side, my auto shop teacher felt bad that we couldn't fix it, so he found me another car :) I feel bad about going through cars so fast, but I'm praying this girl lasts a longgg time :) Her name is Hanna and shes a blue 98 volvo s70 GLT shes mechanically solid and looks like shes been taken good care of mechanically. Cosmetically... ouch. Interior looked like a hoarder was living in there for the past 11 years. Took two giant trash bags to clean out the crap and I've been slowing cleaning her as I've had time, steam cleaned carpets yesterday (YUCK) :pinch:
I still need to tend to the outside :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts