NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

my girlfriend just bought -00 1.8T. After first week few problems came up.

When I open drivers door, lights doesn't come up. There's quite many topics with same problem so I have to replace microswitch. Could this same lock mechanism/microswitch - problem cause that when I lock doors with remote, turn signals doesn't flash, if I try to lock doors with key from drivers side it doesn't lock passanger side, it doesn't close sunroof and red light doesn't flash in door? On passangers side it does close it, locks both sides and red light starts to flash. Also when I lock with remote it locks both sides and read light starts to flash.

Few days ago airbag - light came up, we cleared the codes and it stayed off for few hours but as soon as I moved drivers bench it lighet up. It stated to side airbag, resistance too high. I contacted to dealer and they will take care of that. What I readed it could be wires which moves with bench under it.

Third one is that it takes two to refuel it becouse the fuel door doesn't pop up. Does the DIY for fuel door latch fix this problem?

And how do I know if it has factory alarm and move sensors? So far I've noticed it has two 'sensors' on both sides in rooflights and a button to deactivate sensors (but I'm not sure if it does anything).

If someone can get me full list with factory setups with VIN I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Moi!

Could this same lock mechanism/microswitch - problem cause that when I lock doors with remote, turn signals doesn't flash
No, it could be that a previous owner turned off the "lights flash when armed" feature. It is a setting that can be turned on and off with a dealer level scan tool or VCDS.

if I try to lock doors with key from drivers side it doesn't lock passanger side, it doesn't close sunroof and red light doesn't flash in door? On passangers side it does close it, locks both sides and red light starts to flash. Also when I lock with remote it locks both sides and read light starts to flash.
When you use the key in the door, if you turn the key about 45 degrees, then you trigger a micro switch in the door latch unit with in turns sends a signal to the "alarm system" to lock the doors. Now lets say the battery is dead, well, if you turn the key 90 degrees, then the door latch will be mechanically locked or unlocked.

So, you say you can lock the driver's door by putting the key in it and also close the sunroof, that tells me that the micro switch that gets triggered when the key is turned 45 degrees is working, but the passenger door doesn't lock. I would guess that if you use the power lock switch in the doors, the passenger door doesn't lock. But when you put the key in the passenger door and turn it 90 degrees, it of course locks because it is being done mechanically and not with the electric motor. So, you may have a bad passenger door latch as well.

Few days ago airbag - light came up, we cleared the codes and it stayed off for few hours but as soon as I moved drivers bench it lighet up. It stated to side airbag, resistance too high.
Lets just say I've replaced a lot of the side airbag wiring harnesses over the years. You have to pull the cover off of the seat backrest to do this job, it isn't fun to say the least. Now in some cases, you might actually just have a bad side airbag unit as well, but that is kind of rare. Unless you have training on airbag systems, I would not suggest working on them.

Third one is that it takes two to refuel it becouse the fuel door doesn't pop up. Does the DIY for fuel door latch fix this problem?
Like side airbag wiring harness, the mechanical cable for the remote fuel flap release is a very common item to replace. These cables just seize up. You have to remove the tail light, and some of the plastic trim panels in the cargo area to replace this cable. I was swapping those things out in 10 minutes when I was in my prime since it was a common problem.

And how do I know if it has factory alarm and move sensors? So far I've noticed it has two 'sensors' on both sides in rooflights and a button to deactivate sensors (but I'm not sure if it does anything).
This one is a bit of a grey area for me. Here in the US market, the alarm was a standard option on all Beetles. All it had triggers for was the rear hatch, the left/right doors and the hood/radio (yes, hood and radio are tied together for the alarm). There were no sensors, just micro switches. Also, there is no button in the car for the alarm. Can you post a photo of the button you are talking about.

If someone can get me full list with factory setups with VIN I would appreciate it.
Your local VW dealer can run the VIN and print out a report that has all of the "PR Codes". This will give a complete break down of all the options and items installed on the car. If you look next to the spare tyre, you should find the PR sticker in there. You can look up the 3 digit codes on these web sites:

PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

VW Group Option Codes Decoder

Hope this helps out. Please feel free to send me some Karelian Pies. :D No really... send me some, they don't sell them here. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it could be that a previous owner turned off the "lights flash when armed" feature. It is a setting that can be turned on and off with a dealer level scan tool or VCDS.
ok, I have vag-com but haven't used it for long time. Had few passats before and it came handy with those.

So, you say you can lock the driver's door by putting the key in it and also close the sunroof, that tells me that the micro switch that gets triggered when the key is turned 45 degrees is working, but the passenger door doesn't lock. I would guess that if you use the power lock switch in the doors, the passenger door doesn't lock. But when you put the key in the passenger door and turn it 90 degrees, it of course locks because it is being done mechanically and not with the electric motor. So, you may have a bad passenger door latch as well.
No. If I lock the driver's door with key, all it does is lock the driver's door. If I lock the passanger's door with key, it locks both doors, close windows/sunroof if I keep the key turned and red light starts to flash.

But main question was that could bad microswitch cause all of this and basically I have bad microswitch in driver's door.
Going to replace that if dealer won't.

Unless you have training on airbag systems, I would not suggest working on them.
I've thought of replacing it myself but fortunately dealer is going to fix that so I don't have to mess with it.

This one is a bit of a grey area for me. Here in the US market, the alarm was a standard option on all Beetles. All it had triggers for was the rear hatch, the left/right doors and the hood/radio (yes, hood and radio are tied together for the alarm). There were no sensors, just micro switches. Also, there is no button in the car for the alarm. Can you post a photo of the button you are talking about.

There's button what I've readed disables motion sensors inside the car if you leave a pet or something that moves inside the car when you lock the doors and I think those sensors locate on both sides in rooflights.

Your local VW dealer can run the VIN and print out a report that has all of the "PR Codes". This will give a complete break down of all the options and items installed on the car. If you look next to the spare tyre, you should find the PR sticker in there.
I tried asking same thing few years back when I had passat, local dealer didn't want to help with it so I decided that I don't have to deal with them with any services/parts anymore. Luckily I met one mechanic who looked up and sended me service history and factory kit what he could find but he doesn't work with vw dealer anymore so he can't do it anymore.
This car is imported from Germany few years back and it should have complete service history, I'm just curious if it crashed or something.

Hope this helps out. Please feel free to send me some Karelian Pies. :D No really... send me some, they don't sell them here. :(
But what they sell in markets here is quite ok and doesn't last good if sended but best ones is homemade. I'm not sure if you can find rye flour in there but everything else what you need is quite common. Quite easy so you can do it yourself :) and ofcourse boiled eggs mashed and add butter... I know someone is thinking I'm crazy ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If someone has same problems, here's solution what I had.

For airbags, there was bad solder in airbag control unit. It went bad enough that we couldn't read the controller with any device (not vws or vag-com). New solder and everything was fine.

For door lock, they changed the lock with sensors and after that they changed some unit in door that got everything working. They told me that every wire goes through it in door and it was bad.

Overall it cost about 1000€ (dealer paid it :))

For alarm I haven't have time to check it... studying, working and repairing other car has taken too much time :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts