NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to New Beetle ownership, but I've been an Audi (B6) A4 owner for years; so, I'm reasonably familiar with VW/Audi foibles/issues (ignition coil-packs, timing-belts, etc.). Just added a 2000 New Beetle GLS (Turbo) with 5-speed manual to the family car fleet; the major refurbishment begins on Tuesday (extended "timing-belt" service, including tensioner roller, metal-impeller water-pump, thermostat, camshaft tensioner, camshaft seals, valve-cover gaskets). We're also having the spark-plugs/coil-packs replaced and replacing all of the vital fluids (engine-oil, coolant, brake-fluid, power-steering fluid and manual-trasmission gear-lube); my wife and I like to "reset the counters" on most of the maintenance items when we acquire a used-car... :D

We're looking forward to participating on the forum! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
So wonderful that your New Beetle found you! :party:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :clap:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, everyone! You've got a wonderful forum that's filled with great information; we intend to be contributing members! :)

The experience of driving our New Beetle puts such a silly, goofy grin on our faces on each outing; these are such entertaining little vehicles! We've named our New Beetle, "Klaus Heissler", after the German-speaking goldfish character in the "American Dad" animated TV series. Klaus joins our twin pair of Audi A4 3.0L Quattro's, "Hans" and "Franz" (they're here to "pump (hand-clap) you up!") in our family car fleet.

Klaus (a one-owner car with a little over 70,000 miles on the odometer) took over three months of searching to locate, then we had to make an epic long-distance road-trip to find and retrieve Klaus from Pennsylvania. A pre-purchase inspection by the local VW dealership (along with a trunk full of OEM coolant, brake-fluid, power-steering fluid, VW-spec engine-oil and radiator-hose repair tape) gave us the confidence to make the 8-hour drive home with Klaus.

The first thing we did was have a new pair of three-button switch-blade keys cut/coded for Klaus, since we only got one very tired, three-button switch-blade key with Klaus; we really wanted to avoid the potential for the dreaded "no functioning key" scenario. Since Klaus was apparently treated as an automotive appliance by his first owner (based upon the condition in which we found him), Klaus is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment at our trusted independent VW/Audi service facility (Indianapolis Auto Repair for Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Volkswagen, Volvo, Saab :: Euro Motorworks), a fabulous, very collaborative, highly-recommended independent VW/Audi service facility, if you're located near Indianapolis). Then Klaus is off to the body shop to have a bit of cosmetic surgery (replacing a rusting hood and broken fog-light grill area). We're certain that Klaus will be returned to us with a renewed sense of Turbonium. :cool:

Again, thanks for the welcome!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Again, I am so glad you have adopted this New Beetle. It sounds like you are going to be the best owner. Thank you, and thank you for joining us! :party:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts