NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello VW world!
Im new to owning a new beetle but not to VW. My family has always had VW beetles, and my father gave me his white 1974 VW beetle to which after many years agonising over what to do, many years pouring thousands of dollars into it... i sold it
:( But! bought Albert, my new white 11/1999 beetle.

I am trying to find out the trim.. i think from my research, it appears to be a GLS. Perhaps you have more advice on how to tell?
Albert has: a centre console armrest (needing repair), alloy wheels, electric windows, non-heated seats (don't need them in Australia!), electric mirrors, all these amazing lights (under the sun visors when you slide the mirror cover over!) on both sides. He has a factory 6 CD stacker and a factory rear spoiler. The interior seats are cloth.

I am having a few issues such as the engine light comoing on for a while then it turned off for a while, then has came back on again. I have noticed it may be when re-fueling? but not everytime. I always use premium fuel.

Also the dredded interior gluey sticky goop that is on the arm garnish running along the top of the window. I am looking to have that upholstered in black vinyl. Is this possible? Does this part come off easily?

Anyway, I appreciate the time you took reading, hopefully see you around!!:D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
*I am looking to have that upholstered in black vinyl. Is this possible?*

Why not? What could it hurt? :p

Welcome to the Org! Congrats to you for your New Beetle! :party:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
WELCOME to the ORG

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Welcome and Hello from Up Over :D

Glad to have you aboard. When you get a chance post some pics of your New Beetle in the Photo section. We Orgers love to look at other peoples rides.

I am sure your trim is a GLS. I don't even think they made a lot of GL models. At least I have never seen one around here.
What motor do you have? 1.8T, 2.0 or 1.9 TDI?
Also does your Beetle have a 5 Speed or a Slushbox ;) ?

As far as your Check engine light goes. How does your gas cap look? Sometimes they do not seal properly and a loose gas cap can cause some codes to be thrown.

You could try and find someone with a VAG com in your area. That way you could have your car scanned and see what codes come up.

Again, Welcome and please don't hesitate to ask questions. We have a lot of talented and knowledgable people here that like to help out when they can.

Have a great weekend! Or is it Monday already Down Under? :D

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the site.

I used this site to check my model and trim..

Free VIN Decoder - Vehicle Identification Number Report

I think the problem with getting anything to re-stick to the door panel is going to be difficult. The base or arm rest seems to be made of a paper composite; if you get it wet it deforms. I too would like to replace that part of the door, but after removing it, the foam was so stick and gummy, I couldn't get anything to adhere to it, and the original door armrest vinyl has shrunken so it does not fit back.
This is the best I could get it to stick.. Is that the vinyl your talking about?

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
trim?

We have a GLS with the 1.8T LE reflux yellow with heated m,heated seats,ele locks,leather,spoiler,fog lights,sun roof,power trunk lift gate,traction control or what ever they call it darn thing is loaded.But not sure if you can check in the trunk under tire to see if that tell's trim?? not sure.But nice to see you and welcome hope to see some pic's.Must say love the heated seat's here in upstate ny it's getting cold lol ,again welcome to the org :wave2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sure your trim is a GLS. I don't even think they made a lot of GL models. At least I have never seen one around here.
What motor do you have? 1.8T, 2.0 or 1.9 TDI?
Also does your Beetle have a 5 Speed or a Slushbox ;) ?

*Oh! it would help to mention the motor! It is a 2.0L ..and a manual (the only way to go!)...

As far as your Check engine light goes. How does your gas cap look? Sometimes they do not seal properly and a loose gas cap can cause some codes to be thrown.

* I will check this, thank you!!

Have a great weekend! Or is it Monday already Down Under? :D[/QUOTE]

* lol! I love it!! Thank you so much for your help!:D will post some pictures soon!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interior door trims

Hi and welcome to the site.

I used this site to check my model and trim..

Free VIN Decoder - Vehicle Identification Number Report

I think the problem with getting anything to re-stick to the door panel is going to be difficult. The base or arm rest seems to be made of a paper composite; if you get it wet it deforms. I too would like to replace that part of the door, but after removing it, the foam was so stick and gummy, I couldn't get anything to adhere to it, and the original door armrest vinyl has shrunken so it does not fit back.
This is the best I could get it to stick.. Is that the vinyl your talking about?
Thanks for the help with the link. Will check it out! Yeah the door trims are a let down for me, i will attempt to post a picture here so you can see. On the interior doors there is a black strip that runs parallel to the window. It has a thick film covering it, which btw disolves after scrubbing with rubbing alcohol..but the underneath is a hard black plastic. It is scratched as well so i just want to cover the lot and be done with it. The grey around the rest also has this sticky film but not quite as bad and certianly doesnt scratch and look as bad as the black. Hopefully this photo I try to post will work! I appreciate your interest! From Kellie.(Albert's Love).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your interest! Ok, so hopefully you will see a photo of my current door trims. The part in question is the black strip running along parallel to the window.

After speaking to the auto trimmer guy, he asked me if it could be removed easily...eeek! i dont know. No call to the VW place here helped either.

What are your thoughts? Do you know if it can be removed easily? Has anyone ever covered this strip in vinyl?

Thanks, Kellie. (Albert'sLove).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thank you for your interest! Ok, so hopefully you will see a photo of my current door trims. The part in question is the black strip running along parallel to the window.

After speaking to the auto trimmer guy, he asked me if it could be removed easily...eeek! i dont know. No call to the VW place here helped either.

What are your thoughts? Do you know if it can be removed easily? Has anyone ever covered this strip in vinyl?

WOW, that section on my beetle is metal and painted to match my cars color.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
WOW, that section on my beetle is metal and painted to match my cars color.
Only the white ones are painted black. All of my former, colorful NBs were color-coded. My white one has black. I think it has to do with glare? :confused:

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts

Kellie,

The black trim at the top, that is a complete unit. Just removed both of my panels to replace speakers. Sorry to say, they do not come in "pieces." You best bet is to replace the whole unit! :shoot:

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
how to remove

Yes everyone is right.To remove the whole pannel just pop the outer strip off the pull handle,their are 2 philips screw's ,take them off and at the bottom of the door pannel their are 3 screw's torex cant remember the size take them out ,pull lower panell out a bit and lift should pop right off in one peace.Also you must unplug the window switch to get the pannel off.takes only 3-4 min to get off very eazy :D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Hey Kellie, do you need gray interior door handles? I have a pair if you want them. They appear to be in better shape than the ones you have pictured. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts