VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new here to the site. Recently I bought my daughter an 02 turbo beetle. The car is in excellent shape. Lately it's been acting up so she brought it to a dealership and she has a laundry list of repairs. R&R throttle body, needs new waterpump and timing belt, coolant flange , 1 cv boot left inner, control arm bushings and strut bearings. All for $3000. Personally I think it's on the steep side. I've priced everything and it comes to about $800. I'd do the work myself but I'm in NY and she's in the Orlando area. Any good honest mechanics in Orlando?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Hello from the warm reaches of North Carolina! Do a quick PM to Scarib2k he's down in FL and we have a great group down that way!

·
Go Blue!
293 Posts
Welcome Breebug :wave: Greetings from northern Virginia!

Dealerships tend to really charge a lot of money for repairs. If you can locate an independent mechanic you will most likely reduce that quote. I'm sure someone down in the Florida area will have a trusted mechanic that they can recommend to you and at the very least it would be a good idea to have a second opinion on all those repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome

Personally I've never had anyone wrench on my vehicles. Whether it be car , truck , or harley. I do t think the beetle needs all those repairs but when a young girl takes her car to the dealer all they see is $$$$$$. I told my daughter to see an Indy mech but he still wants $750 to install TB and water pump timing belt. He says high cost due to reflash ECM for TB. And that's me buying the parts myself.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
}}}answering to the org signal{{{

Jacksonville, FL checking in!
Welcome to the org family. Mighty glad to have you here with us.

You're a smart Dad... makes the rest of us look good:cool: Yep, the automotive forums are the modern-day "shade tree mechanic". The per-mechanic information is the best tool you can ever get these days... saves you a ton of money and even gives you knowledge to do it yourself.

Us FL beetle owners are a tight knit group- we look out for one another, helping with repairs, getting you to a reliable mechanic and even sourcing out parts. David, screen name VDubYah, is very VW savvy and lives in Orlando. He also has a VAG-COM. I'm not sure if He has the version to flash the ECM, but He does have one. I can't speak for Him, but I do know He is very helpful. If you can get your daughter involved in the forums, that would be helpful too- just having Her informed is peace of mind for you, your daughter and your budget:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

}}}answering to the org signal{{{

Jacksonville, FL checking in!
Welcome to the org family. Mighty glad to have you here with us.

You're a smart Dad... makes the rest of us look good:cool: Yep, the automotive forums are the modern-day "shade tree mechanic". The per-mechanic information is the best tool you can ever get these days... saves you a ton of money and even gives you knowledge to do it yourself.

Us FL beetle owners are a tight knit group- we look out for one another, helping with repairs, getting you to a reliable mechanic and even sourcing out parts. David, screen name VDubYah, is very VW savvy and lives in Orlando. He also has a VAG-COM. I'm not sure if He has the version to flash the ECM, but He does have one. I can't speak for Him, but I do know He is very helpful. If you can get your daughter involved in the forums, that would be helpful too- just having Her informed is peace of mind for you, your daughter and your budget:)
Thanks Scarab I'll look for David. Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts